Transformer question - Can I replace...

Sponsored Links
The first is a true transformer, it has two coils of wire magnetically coupled to each other.

The second is not a transformer, it is a switched mode regulated power supply. But it does "transform" 230 v mains to a low voltage supply

You might be able to use thea switched mode regulated power supply to replace the true transformer but whether youi can depends on exactly what is being supplied by the the transformer.

The existing transformer supplies 4x 50w MR16 light fittings on a dimming circuit, it seems to create a lot of inrush current which sometimes trips the B6 mcb if there's a fair amount of load on the rest of the circuit, it never used to do this.
I'm hoping that replacing it will combat that issue...

In this situation , unless the cables are relativeley close to the transformer then No its not a suitable replacement for the original, I would suggest you get the circuits Earth Fault Loop Impedance checked which may allow you to use a C type MCB which should not trip under the short duration of the surge.

Nick

Sponsored Links
I thought about putting a c type in (EFLI is <3) but I've never heard of the cu make so thought this would be easier than trying to source an obscure mcb.
I assume you're talking about volt drop in regards to the cable length, if so what's different about the original transformer type in that respect?

Electronic transformers as mentioned above are basically a switch mode power supply and are not designed to have excessive leads wired to them , they do not cope well with volt drop and cannot maintain the voltage over distances .

Nick

Ah I see, I knew there had to be a reason why this was installed in the first place, :)

Things have moved on now, i remeber as an aprentice in the 90s still installing them and then suddenly they became old fashioned and individual transformers were the way forward .

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back