Transit Van - security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Transit van, hi-top, lwb.
Sliding side door, no windows in back. Bulkhead fitted. Central locking, no keys reqd for rear door.
Looking for advice on beefing up security.
I have looked at dead bolts, slam locks and loom protectors. Is there anything else to consider. The sliding door seems to be a weak point.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
park it in a garage, or stick "no tools stored in this van overnight" stickers to it. But the only reason to stick these stickers on is because you DO store things in the van overnight and want people to think otherwise . . .

Don't forget to use the factory fitted deadlocks when you park up (press the lock button on the key fob twice), I don't know how good the locks are on the back doors but up to now no one has tried to break in to mine & with the British Gas logo all over it they know there's power tools in it.

Dead Bolts are certainly the way to go for the front doors..However fo the Rear and Side door I would consider after market Closed Hasp locks that are permanently fitted to the vehicle.

Satellite Tracking equipment should also be a serious consideration. I have this on my Van and it cut my Insurance premium by 35%..well worth £12 a month...

Sponsored Links
Big Spark is correct in what he says,I work for BT and their transits have been fitted with every lock going but if the thieves want to get in the vans they will.The hasp lock would probably be the best bet if fixed with hardened bolts and a good padlock but at the end of the day dont leave anything of value in the van if at all possible.
regards

I too drive a Transit and last year I was shown the very easy way to disable the lock in the rear doors with just the use of a long sharp blade.

I won't tell how it is done for obvious reasons but I went out to my van one morning last year. The door was closed and there was absolutely no damaged at all to the door itself.

The only give away that someone had broken in was the fact that the lock to the rear doors would not work when I pressed the lock button on the key-fob.

Apparently experienced thieves break into Transits this way all the time :eek:

I reckon a decent heavy duty hasp with hardened padlock is the only way to go.

You can buy loom protectors to prevent this happening - try armaplate.

I've disabled the central locking on my van, as I like to know the doors are locked while I'm driving.

There was a recall by ford for all transits that were affected, they modified the wiring to so the rear doors did not open if they tried to break in.

if someone wants your van that badly but cant get past the locks, theyll just 'borrow' a hiab and break the doors in their own time...

my transit has been broken into 5x in laast 3 years.
they usually cut the loom on the rear. why in Gods name dont Ford fit the £15 protectors for standard bcos the like to charge £200 to replace cut loom.
i empty van out every night
last week found a hoody withhis head inside my van, he smashed side window but couldnt open the deadlocked door.

Sponsored Links
Back