Trap on Unvented Cylinder Discharge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having a blocked drain a few days ago (cleared now), I've noticed a slight sewer smell in the house. Our unvented cylinder discharge connects to a HepVo trap however, this seems to be the cause of the smell (pics attached)
It appears that the discharge pipe is pushed right into the HeVo trap holding it open.
Is it ok to cut the pipe back so it just enters the trap but still allows the plastic membrane inside to close?

Thank you

20160518_210036.jpg

20160518_211601.jpg

Sponsored Links
The 22mm copper pipe from the tundish into the HepVo valve is far too long, it has probably held the self sealing membrane partly open allowing the foul smell into the property.

The pipe shouldn't intrude into the valve and adaptors are available from Wavin for use with the HepVo.

It may have damaged the membrane and it may not seal properly again. I would put a new one in to be on the safe side or get the original plumbers back as that clearly doesn't meet with the guide lines.

Have a look at this guide in the HepVo guide page 9. http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/download?uuid=a9443f31-058e-4839-bb64-f88b705cba07

Last edited:
Yes, looking in the trap, the membrane now just stays open so I'll need a new one.
I see that I can buy one with a tundish adapter, that seems the best option.

This was done 10 years ago when the house was built, I only bought the property recently!

Yes, looking in the trap, the membrane now just stays open so I'll need a new one.
I see that I can buy one with a tundish adapter, that seems the best option.

This was done 10 years ago when the house was built, I only bought the property recently!

NHBC have a 10 year warranty scheme in operation so may be worth trying them.

It's obviously poor installation and a potential (though slight) health risk allowing foul air from the sewer into your home, plus there may be other homes on the estate that have been plumbed the same.

Sponsored Links
Is it even permissible to run that relief into a plastic pipe?

Nozzle

Okay, guess I underestimate the capability of PVC pipe then!

Nozzle

Okay, guess I underestimate the capability of PVC pipe then!

Nozzle

The regulations are very strict on dimensions, fall, length of run and materials used.

The waste pipe has to be Polypropylene (Pushfit) clipped at no more than 300mm centres and the valve fitted vertically.

See page 9 in link in post #2

Good luck with nhbc though :LOL:

Agreed Dan, they are a "difficult" body to deal with.

But as the installation clearly doesn't comply with the agreed / approved method it needs flagging in, assuming that the property is on a new build estate, even if it's only one plumber using that particular practice there could be a number of properties with foul air entering the living areas.

9 years ago they bolted a whole new Estate on the end of ours. Nice big houses marketed as luxury homes for commuters.

A few years ago we were doing up or house when a lady in tears was knocking on my door as NG had cut her off after reporting a smell.

Luckily for her I was ahead of schedule on my ufh and went round.

In the end we had to pull half the kitchen out tracking the gas pipe. In the end we found a bit of 15mm partially sheathed worth leccy tape in contact with the block wall and had corroded through.

At this stage the house was 7 years old.

Nhbc classed it as a fixture and fitting and therefore under the 2 year warranty and told them to go forth.

How a buried gas pipe running through a ceiling and behind a fitted kitchen is a fixture and fitting, God only knows. :LOL:

9 years ago they bolted a whole new Estate on the end of ours. Nice big houses marketed as luxury homes for commuters.

A few years ago we were doing up or house when a lady in tears was knocking on my door as NG had cut her off after reporting a smell.

Luckily for her I was ahead of schedule on my ufh and went round.

In the end we had to pull half the kitchen out tracking the gas pipe. In the end we found a bit of 15mm partially sheathed worth leccy tape in contact with the block wall and had corroded through.

At this stage the house was 7 years old.

Nhbc classed it as a fixture and fitting and therefore under the 2 year warranty and told them to go forth.

How a buried gas pipe running through a ceiling and behind a fitted kitchen is a fixture and fitting, God only knows. :LOL:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but guessing the gas pipe ran behind the plasterboard and wasn't fully encased?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back