Unvented Discharge Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was called out on an Insurance Emergency last night - leak in airing cupboard in house <1 year old.

It turned out to be the tundish on an unvented cylinder. The D2 pipe was connected via solvent weld 32mm pipe to the soil stack. Strange as I thought you needed copper only as it is capable of carrying water above 100°C safely.

The other major concern was that to prevent smells coming into the airing cupboard some clever person had fitted a 1¼" Vac waste trap to the D2 pipe just below the tundish. The PRV was dripping but the trap was not opening, causing the tundish to spill out onto the floor.

What did I not get about G3 training? Is this a total bodge up by the house bashers or is it, as I doubt, an acceptible method of discharge management?

I took a photo and urged the customer to contact her housebuilder 1st thing this morning, having declared that it was an unsafe installation.

Your opinions?

Sponsored Links
Things have moved on, plastic is permitted if correct grade(terrain are happy to cert 95deg pipe).Latent heat is lost through D1,cooled through air gap so in theory isnt that hot.

Water shouldnt reach 100 cos safety discharge is 95 hence why terrain give figures to match this and used to give test certificates if required as proof.

Hepvo traps are common sights now also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back