Trap with no outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower is draining very slowly. I assumed it was the usual chocked trap, just needed cleaning. After examining the trap I don't see an outlet. Looking at the images on the net I see traps usually have a outlet on the side of the traps leading to the drain. This is not the case with mine, it is just a bowl no hole in the side (see attached photo). Who ever fitted the shower did not leave access to the trap, the only way to inspect the problem would be to destroy my bathroom.
Your advice would be much appreciated. IMG_20221127_135000.jpgIMG_20221127_135013.jpg

Sponsored Links
The outlet will be higher up, behind the lip you can see.

With the two parts in your pic removed ,does the shower drain any better ?

Thank you for your quick replys. The answer to the first post, if the outlet is higher up behind the lip how are you going to get into to clear the blockage, as I said this is the only access to the trap without tearing the bathroom apart. The second question, unfortunately removing the parts does not fix the problem. On the top of the trap there are small lugs, are they there so you can unscrew the top of the trap. I suspect they are just to assist drainage into the trap.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your quick replys. The answer to the first post, if the outlet is higher up behind the lip how are you going to get into to clear the blockage, as I said this is the only access to the trap without tearing the bathroom apart. The second question, unfortunately removing the parts does not fix the problem. On the top of the trap there are small lugs, are they there so you can unscrew the top of the trap. I suspect they are just to assist drainage into the trap.

I'm assuming the shower tray isn't raised off the floor, with a removable access panel? That's how we unblock ours.

Some strong drain cleaner might do it?

Unlikely that the trap outlet is blocked ,but the pipework downstream may be. Use a large plunger to try to unblock.
The lugs are not for disassembly ,but are there to create alignment / spacing of the chrome top.

how are you going to get into to clear the blockage, as I said this is the only access to the trap without tearing the bathroom apart
You don't, the dip tube is the trap and water seal (when the chrome top is inserted) all in one. The bottom part you can see is just the cup portion of the shower waste.
If the tray is flat to the floor then the only way to access the pipework, if it blocks, is from below or from the end of the run, if access was created and there is a rodding point.

That's why it's very critical to ensure that a shower has and adequate pipe size, properly situated waste pipe run and the corrcet fall, that ensures it's is virtually self cleaning and won't ever need to be unblocked, that and proper cleaning regime and a hair catcher if long hair is an issue. It's a key part of my hand over discussions with the client about key after care.

You may try plunging the waste, using a power/pressure plunger, then copious amount of boiling hot water mixed with a de-greaser.

Thank you everyone for your input. From what you say, this is not a problem that can be easily fixed, I have no access to the trap pipework, without trashing my bathroom. Because of the trap design I can't rod or plunge it, as long as there it some bypass a plunger won't build enough pressure to clear the blockage. All things considered this is a installation fitted by another cowboy plumber, in and out job, with no though for any ongoing maintenance.
Once again I would like to thank you all for your suggestions.

Thank you everyone for your input. From what you say, this is not a problem that can be easily fixed, I have no access to the trap pipework, without trashing my bathroom. Because of the trap design I can't rod or plunge it, as long as there it some bypass a plunger won't build enough pressure to clear the blockage. All things considered this is a installation fitted by another cowboy plumber, in and out job, with no though for any ongoing maintenance.
Once again I would like to thank you all for your suggestions.

I don't know if something like this would work, without damaging your fittings. I think this is consumer grade stuff. I'm pretty sure I once got a bottle at Wickes. There are stronger versions for pros. Hopefully someone will advise if it's going to cause damage. I've used it in my shower.

https://www.homecareessentials.co.u...hino-drain-unblocker-non-acid-formula-1-litre

And you might need a more aggressive hair trap. These seem to catch everything, as long as it fits your drain hole. But there are lots of others.

1669582841582.png

Because of the trap design I can't rod or plunge it
Yes you can, if you use a power plunger. You put the plunger over the waste hole, fill the tray up with water, lift the plunger for a sec to allow slug of water to enter the waste then pump the plunger, as you plunge it the water is moved back and forward within the waste pipe, hopefully loosening the restriction, that coupled with boiling hot water with detergent should shift a fair bit of it.

13894_P

Have you checked to make sure the bit with the raised parts doesn't unscrew?

I can't see how the trap would of been fitted in the first place if its all one piece.

Have you checked to make sure the bit with the raised parts doesn't unscrew?

I can't see how the trap would of been fitted in the first place if its all one piece.
The top half screw's into the bottom half of the trap which is under the tray. That would have been done when there was access below the tray. Trying to unscrew it apart now ,without access below, may well make it difficult to reinstate, possibly not achievable.

That's how I'd expected it to have been fitted and I'd of thought if it's been fitted properly the waste connection should keep the bottom in place

That's how I'd expected it to have been fitted and I'd of thought if it's been fitted properly the waste connection should keep the bottom in place
Maybe so ,and what would be achieved by separating the two halves ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back