Trapped AIR after adding additional pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added another pump to a semi gravity heating system (to cylinder), so the water will reheat more quickly.
Unfortunately I now seem to get lots of air trapped in the radiators. I have fitted an automatic air vent but it does not seem to catch the air so well?

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Fitting a pump to a Gravity loop can cause air to be sucked into the system via the vent pipe over the header tank as the pump un-balances the circuit try turning the new pump to it's lowest setting that may help. otherwise you will have to consider a diffrent way of fully pump[ing the system ;)

Fitting a pump to a Gravity loop can cause air to be sucked into the system via the vent pipe over the header tank as the pump un-balances the circuit try turning the new pump to it's lowest setting that may help. otherwise you will have to consider a diffrent way of fully pump[ing the system ;)

I thought an auto airvent would grab any passing air, but still getting some air traps in bloody microbore tube?

Sponsored Links
aav will get it on the high spots

if its pulling down the vent it has no chance :cry:

The header tank very high above primary pipework, so this would seem an awkward event? More air vents high up maybe??

as boilerman2 said, adding a pump without altering the system to suit it willcause air problems, you need the system redesigned to accommodate the "fully pumped" set up. Adding air vent auto or manual won't help much, if any.

An auto air vent will only let the air out if there's enough water pressure to force it out. If your pump is drawing air down the open vent, you could have arrived at a situation where the whole system is actually working at a negative pressure. in that case automatic vents may draw more air into the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back