Travel Dilemna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have booked a All Inclusive holiday to Turkey travelling on Mon 26 Aug.
2 adults and 2 children and quite looking forward to it.

It seems that Turkey Visa requirements are that your pasport must be 6 months valid to gain entry. As my partner only has 3 months and we have just found out about this rule we are in a bit of a pickle.

We cannot fast track a passport renewal in time and Thomson the agents are saying that it was our responsibility to check entry requirements before booking.:cry:

This is a big problem and probably our only hope now is to speak to the Turkish Embassy and see if they can help.

I strongly feel that Thomson have failed in their duty of care to us by not prewarning us of something fundamentally important at the time of booking and I will be seeking redress if this is not sorted.

The layman surely cannot be expected to know what should be an every day thing for a professional travel agent.

Your thoughts please fellas. :(

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear of your woes - we went there last month with Thomas Cook and the issue was flagged up by them in the shop and I seem to remeber when filling in the API somewhere. They also reminded us that you each need to pay £10 upon entry for the visa.

Good luck with the Embassy. Failing that maybe Thomson could arrange a flight and transfers later in the week via themselves or another company for the member of your party to give time to belt over to Liverpool and get a passport?

It's your fault why should they have to issue you with a check list of the things you need do before going on holiday.

There must be a passport office in Brum, you'll have to get yourselves there in the morning.

Yeah, you can get a same day passport. I had to get a renewal many years ago.
I had to go to Peterborough to get it though. Hours and hours of waiting and not cheap either.

Phone them up for an emergency appointment.

Sponsored Links
There's one in Brum if you can manage a google search you'll get the phone number but if you want your holiday best get your backsides there for 8am when it opens.

General rule is that you must have at least 6 months left on your passport before you travel, and it's the holders responsibility to ensure this is the case.

The following from Ask Jeeves :
How Many Months Do I Need to Have Remaining on My Passport before Travelling Abroad?
Answer
If your passport has six months remaining you can still travel with your passport. Most countries insist you should have at least six months remaining before visiting. However renewing you passport earlier is cheaper and easy. You can still travel to European Union countries if you have less than six months remaining.

Bahco I hope you sort your dilemma, however to add to your problems I don't believe you can just turn up at a passport office any more, you need a pre booked appointment (I hope for your sake I am wrong).

Good luck.

Gov.uk site says the same day premium service is not available in Brum. You will have to go to London, Liverpool, Peterborough. Durham, Glasgow, Gwent are probably out of the question.

The reason some countries require a minimum of 6 months validity remaining on a passport is to cover any unfortunate medical condition or injury / accident whilst on holiday that could hospitalise you and prevent you leaving that country as planned. If your passport were to expire during such circumstances you could be up shit creek.

The reason some countries require a minimum of 6 months validity remaining on a passport is to cover any unfortunate medical condition or injury / accident whilst on holiday that could hospitalise you and prevent you leaving that country as planned. If your passport were to expire during such circumstances you could be up shit creek.
True, but then you'd be able to apply for an emergency passport from abroad. Makes one wonder if the 6 month rule is one of those things left in the statute books that has been overlooked in spite of improved technologies :confused:

Simple apply for renewal in plenty of time because any unused months are carried over onto new passport.
This 6 month rule that some countries req is widely publicized and has been for decades .

Sponsored Links
Back