Window installers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Ive booked to have new windows installed by a localish company. We had the female rep come to our house. Unfortunately turned up at the wrong time forcing me to cancel a appointment. Told her what we wanted and booked them. They took a deposit from me in 48 hours and then we heard nothing. After 14 days I rang and asked what was happening. A week later they came back to us with an installation date. For a month later. Then 2 weeks later they rang to confirm on a different date. We explained that we had to book time off work at our cost and couldn't change it so they agreed to our original date. That date was today 31st Aug. Last evening I rang the rep to ask what time they would be calling because I was expecting an approx time at least. She hummed abut and said probably 9am. Today is my installation day. I recieved a phone call at 8am to inform me the installers gone off sick so they won't be here until tomorrow. Am I right in being angry at this? Right now I just feel like telling them not to bother but will lose my £400 deposit. I cannot afford to take another day off work

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure there is a law against this kind of behavior from a certified company. It has something to do with delays. You should look it up and just demand they return the deposit and tell them you don't want any work done from them. I hope you find something.

Thank you for your replys. They have turned up today. But unsure of what we are having replaced. I'm worried when I get home from work it won't be quite what i expected .

Sponsored Links
Try not worry chris if unsure of anything take some pictures when home and post them up and I'm sure the people on here will advise etc.
Good luck bud
Regards david

Well the job was completed on Friday. When I got home I was asked to sign a letter to say I was satisfied. However I had a couple of queries. The 1st was why had the tiles that formed some kind of sill on my sixties house not been removed. The surveyor had ensured me this would happen and it was for the best. The 2nd was why had my door not got the handle and lock I had ordered. It was completely different. The fitters were not able to answer this obviously it wasn't their fault. This I understood.
. On Sunday someone came out to me to again get me to sign this letter. I voiced the same concerns and was told that when the saleswoman Jess sold us the windows she did not write these things in the original contract. She left it 'to be arranged. The surveyor who came out. Went to the office and submitted his paperwork. But neither he or I had entered into a contract. He had only verbally told me I could have this done.
What can I say? Who would have thought this could have happened.
I am stuck for words. They have agreed to cover the 'sill' but anything else I have to put up and shut up
Needless to say I won't be recommending this company

If you're really unhappy with the job as a whole , get legal advice. I'd have thought that the company's failure to do proper documentation would go against them.

Ask to see the original order, and ask to speak to Jess. Have you paid all the money over yet, if not, then don't sign the letter, and withold some of the money. If Jess didn't write it down, then it's hers and the companies faults, not yours. In addition, the Surveyor verbally told you it could be done, and that would be sufficient in a court. You brought up both issues immediately, and not a week later, so you were definitely under the impression that it was being done, and they've pretty much agreed that it should have been; they're just trying to wriggle out of it by saying it's not written down.

Typical window installation company.

You should have been given a letter laying out a description of works with all the detail and dimension of everything you have ordered.This is for you to check and agree and sign as acceptance of what you requested, the company cannot deviate from this without written consent from you.

They sent someone around on a Sunday to pressure you into signing? That alone is completely unacceptable in my opinion!

You haven't replied here for a couple of weeks, did it all end OK?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back