travertine replacing flooded floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we were flooded last July and I wish to remove the old floorbords which are uneven and have new travertine floor - but - need to waterproof the underneath somehow in case re-flooded in future, also, there is drop from centre of room to walls of approx 1 inch as old stone house has dropped at sides over the years. What is the best course of action, I'm thinking: strip out old floor, level joists (?) lay 25mm marine ply, fix along joists and tile????any ideas/thoughts? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me. Don't forget to add extra support under the edges of the ply. Oh and there's no need to use marine ply - WBP (exterior) ply is fine. I recommend Bal Single part flexible adhesive on ply.

Hi - many thanks for your swift response. Can I push my luck and ask:
rather than build the joists up at sides to level could I get away with planing down the centre to level, that would be the smallest area to handle, without compromising the strength, possibly reinforce joists anyway? :confused:

Ideally you want to bolt timber to the sides of the existing joists, but yeah you should be ok to plane off a bit to bring it level. The fact that you're installing 25mm ply and screwing it down to the joists will firm up and hold the floor tight.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks. Looks like I'll be putting this job on hold now as I've had so much troube finding suitable stone tiles, so much conflicting advice from the shops, like not to use travertine at all as it is too fragile! so - now looking at using Jerusalem Stone instead. Also my builder says he cannot quote me again for just one room, rather than the original two, so I'm a bit stuck. My kitchen floor coming up is an opportunity to do some re-working of the water supply etc., but can't afford to do that room yet, so want just sitting room but I think this job is too small for local builders! :confused:

PS: "extra support under edges of ply"???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back