Travertine questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully next week will be starting to lay 24s qm of classic honed and filled travertine 610mm x 406mm 12mm thick on the walls and floor with a mosaic border in my bathroom but unsure about a few things. Which is the best pattern! I originally was going to do brick bond with 2mm spacers but have read it's more difficult with large tiles. Next the impregnator is ltp mattstone a good product, its much cheaper than lithofin stainstop. I have read that some seal before laying then again after grouting and some seal after laying then again after grouting which is best. How much impregnator will I need! I thought might as well get 5 ltrs. Lastly the grout, I know it personal preference but which colour suits classic best. Can I use wall grout for the floor tiles as wont need much so there would be a lot left over if I bought a 5kg bag, theres only about 3.5sqm of floor once the shower and baths in. Do I have to use larger spacers on the floor, its constructed of 25mm marine ply sat on 8"x3" joists with loads of extra noggins in between and there is very little if any flex.

Sponsored Links
Which ever way you do it as there oblongs you wouldn't be able to follow the same pattern straight up the wall, I'd personally go with brick on the floor then upright on the walls. I'd also use larger spacers 3/4mm, gives you a bit more play.

It would be best to ask the supplier of the travertine whens best to seal. The last floor I did it was all sealed once laid and grouted, being that its been filled etc its going to be less absorbent, some people prefer to seal before laying to prevent things being spilt damaging the floor.

As for grout something like this would be best:

http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/acc-details.php?aid=336

Floor sounds spot on for tiling.

Hope this helps

Gob's

3mm would be best for your wall and floor tiles, I would match up the grout joints if they are the same size tile.

Seal before and after grouting, keep sealing until the stone stops absorbing then it is done.

I prefer using lithofin products over any other, they are the best.

You will struggle to use superflex wide joint grout on your walls, too sandy.

Your best bet is to pop into a local suppliers and ask them about Grout, then phone the technical line for the Manfacturer as a back up.

It's unlikely that you have a grout suitable for both walls and floors, the only one I have ever used is Weber fine wall and floor grout, horrible to use.

3mm would be best for your wall and floor tiles, I would match up the grout joints if they are the same size tile.

Seal before and after grouting, keep sealing until the stone stops absorbing then it is done.

I prefer using lithofin products over any other, they are the best.

You will struggle to use superflex wide joint grout on your walls, too sandy.

Your best bet is to pop into a local suppliers and ask them about Grout, then phone the technical line for the Manfacturer as a back up.

It's unlikely that you have a grout suitable for both walls and floors, the only one I have ever used is Weber fine wall and floor grout, horrible to use.

Could I not just use wall grout for the floor or will it cause a problem.
The only tile shop locally is Topps and from what I've read are not very knowledgeable, I will go have a look and see what they say.

Where's cheapest online for lithofin and is stainstop mn the one to use.

Sponsored Links
you will need a cement based flexi floor grout, colour to suit your trav.

has for sealer have you typed in the name in your google bar an visit the said named sites for prices an info?
i would do it for you but just going to wash my hair... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back