Treated vs untreated wood for outdoor dining set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I am planning to build an outdoor table set; I have the powder coated pre-made legs and planned to just buy the boards to fit to it for a simple table and bench seat setup. I'll be getting pine from my favourite local timber merchants to keep costs down, but am not sure weather to use tanalised or not. I bought the same boards for a garden wall project (47 x 225mm) in tanalised form, and know that after a while the yellow/green effect fades but it always is there and affects the colour of the stain/oil/wax you add. I've also been told that treated timber splinters/cracks/warps more easily, so am wondering if I should just be relying on my own treatment which I apply regularly. Thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you give it a protective coat every couple of years, just go with the untreated.
I personally use treated wood for all my outdoor projects; i don't like things failing after a short time.
Treated wood does not move, crack or warps more than untreated, but surely it's more resistant to rotting.

Tanalised is green. Other timber treatment is brown, or even clear.

You presumably will be planning this timber smooth or suchlike, which will lighten it.

If the timber won't be saturated for continuous periods, and you treat the end grain with a preservative, and commit to regular maintenance with a quality coating, you may well get a long life from the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back