Treating clay based garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We took down our 'above ground' swimming pool yesterday and, as expected, the ground below was quite compacted. (It's had approximately 16,500 litres of water resting on it for over 18 months lol).
The plan is to 'gently' turn the top few inches over, work in a good mulch or fertiliser, leave to winterise and then reseed with grass seed early next spring. However, turning it over is proving very difficult. About 1/2" down and we are trying to lift clay rather than compacted soil. Should I rotivate it and add some dry sharp sand to try and improve it's condition or am I stuck with a clay area? The rest of the garden is quite porous, even after heavy rains so I don't think the clay is close to the surface in other areas.

Sponsored Links
Dig down and see how far the clay goes, it may be that you've got to add drainage first, and then redo the top layer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grass roots go down a maximum of 4 inches so dig over to that depth and spike the ground using a garden fork to allow air and rain to penetrate lower down .
Either that or just spike the ground over and lay turf....job done.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back