Treating external wood in winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently became responsible for maintaining a property, and discovered that the wooden frames around some windows/doors have not been looked after, so there are small areas of rotting wood eg soft wood or disintegration.

I'm still new to DiY, so given it is now winter - is it still advisable to try and dab some wood treatment on the exposed bits, with the view of applying wood hardener then exterior wood filler during better weather (is this also advisable to do in winter?) Or is it too late (given the moisture levels) and best to wait till spring?

Long term would probably look to replacing some of the wooden parts with PVC, but need to save up, really don't want things to fall apart in the next couple of months. E.g. On one window, I can see a bit of glass through where the wood has started to rot away.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Really in damp and cold weather you are on a hiding to nothing outside, even inside decoration can suffer poor drying times. I would leave it till the spring at least, if possible after a couple of weeks of dry weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back