Treating joist and plasterboard under damp floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have started redo my bathroom and after removing units and tiles from the floor it had uncovered damaged pipe that was leaking slight moisture into the ply the tiles were lied on and underlying floorboards. The floorboard had dried, but still looked nasty, so I wanted to replace them. However after removing them it showed slight damage to the joist in the most affected space. And also the plasterboard looks like it had black mold, but now dried.
So although both joist and plasterboard look dry and sound now it feels like some sort of treatment might be beneficial before I cover it back with floorboards.
So as I have no idea what could be done, I would like to ask for an advice on that.

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_092831.jpg
    IMG_20200130_092831.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20200130_092824.jpg
    IMG_20200130_092824.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20200130_092820.jpg
    IMG_20200130_092820.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 329
Sponsored Links
I'm more concerned that it appears a floorboard is resting directly on top of a pipe

I'm more concerned that it appears a floorboard is resting directly on top of a pipe
There is slight gap. Not big, but there is. Also this part will be buried under the vanity units so no direct walking over.
But anyways, what is concerning you with that?

Doesn't look bad. Any musty smells? Poke all the wood to check solid - looks OK from here though. If in doubt, give it a treatment with some wood preserve (I use Everbuild triple action, for dry & wet rot, and woodworm). Clean it all out too, just to be safe as spores lurk in dust etc.

Also spray any black mould with something like Cillit Bang black mould remover.

Obviously ventilate, windows open, mask on when spraying or painting the wood treatment. Leave to dry out before covering.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back