treating new timber joists

M

marsaday

A final point is to remember to treat any new timber against rot or insect damage before use. Failure to do so will cause horrendous problems in years to come.

i took this quote off another web site. is this correct to treat all new timber in your new loft floor ?

Sponsored Links
that sounds like prophet of doom stuff to me but why not do it. All joists and rafters used during a new build are always treated but that is partly to do with the fact that they will sit in the rain for weeks/months until the roof is done. Indoor work, i.e. studs etc are much less commonly treated.

It is good practise for timber within a suspended ground floor cavity to be treated but as for a loft if you are merely converting it's not absolutely necessary but if you are doing major rennovations and the area will not be weather tight then it is a good idea because It's merely a case of ordering the timber treated and its not a massive extra charge

If you live in one of the specified areas of Surrey, Runymede etc. all timbers must be treated against Longhorn Beetle. Otherwise general treatment of all timber isn't necessary.

End grain should be treated if the timber bears on the external walls and all timber near the ground should be treated - i.e. ground floor joists etc. I don't think it's strictly a requirement but I also specify treatment of roof end grain as well - just because I've rarely seen a 25 yr old roof that didn't have some rot to the rafter ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back