Timber joists below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1920s house with cavity walls and slate DPC. As part of my extension, I have had a suspended timber floor lowered so that I can use thick insulation board below electric UFH and thick tiles whilst maintaining the same, final floor level. One end of the new, treated joists are now mortared into the internal sleeper wall and the other ends are into galvanised shoes mortared into the inner leaf of the outer wall. All the joist ends are now below DPC level. Should I be worried about damp getting into the new joists?

Sponsored Links
If there is a way for moisture to pass from the brickwork to the timber, then yes you should be worried

Why didn't you use a hanger with a bit of DPC felt against the wall instead of building the joists in?

Thanks Woody. I didn't do the building work, but it seemed odd to me that there is no protection from moisture, even though they are treated timbers. I will raise the issue with the builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back