Treatment for edges of exterior plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use exterior ply for shed walls i.e. on the outside. Question is what products to use to seal and preserve the wood esp the edges. Ideally I would like to do it right the first time and hence am willing to stretch my budget for good stuff. Also what could I use to possibly cover the exposed edges e.g some sort of lipping? Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
On exterior signs I tend to treat the edges with a clear spar varnish (the real stuff which never really sets 100%) or a thick gloss paint then cover with a rebated moulding. There's a sign outside a farm about a mile away from my house which I did this way. It's up on a hill in the most weather beaten location you could imagine (this is the Pennines and that farm is at about 950 feet above SL) and it was done that way (with iroko mouldings). I pass it regularly and I'll swear that it hasn't been varnished or lacquered since the day it went up - in 1994. It is starting to show signs of wear so maybe I'll try selling him a new sign shortly........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back