Tree causing crack in wall: to buy or not to buy..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Any advice appreciated please.

I'm interested in a 20s bungalow, in need of modernising. There is a very large willow tree about 8 feet away from the building. It has caused a noticeable crack along the contours of the brickwork. There is also a crack on the other side of the building. It is fairly clear that the tree has caused this. It is not built on clay soil.

Should I buy it? If so, a rough idea of cost to remove the tree and fix the walls? Is it too risky? Any possible after effects of removing the tree?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tom P - A few points spring to mind.
1. You should allow an expert to examine the tree and ground conditions to ensure the advise you receive is based on fact.
2. You have noted "it is not built on clay soil" based on this quote I assume you have already searched ground heave?
3. Does the fractured brickwork start wider at low level and then reduce as its gets higher or the opposite ?

Walk away Tom - those footings are going to be only 2 feet deep and those roots will be everywhere, Seriously don't go there.

Sponsored Links
How do you know the tree has caused the cracking? Non clay soils do not suffer from subsidence and heave in the same way that clay soils do.

Where exactly does the crack run?

How long is the crack?

How wide is the crack?

Does it taper from one end to the other?

Could there be other issues that may have caused the cracking? Mine workings, made / soft ground, broken drains?

Have you had / are you getting a survey done?

Do you have any photos?

Would advise to speak with a building inspector to get their opinion. We had a similar experience however it ended up being structural cracking that cost a small fortune to repair. Best be cautious and cover yourself. We used a company in Australia http://www.masterbuildinginspectors.com.au. They might be able to help you out if your around that way.

FYI - willow trees consume A LOT of water. I should know as we had a weeping willow before it blew down in the wind 2 years ago, but fortunately we're not in a clay soil area.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back