Trees blocking sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone can help with this, i'm not usually one to moan but this one is p***ing me off!

In the gardens that back onto mine, there are 3 large oak trees. In the summer we get about 1hr of sunlight in the garden first thing in the morning, the rest of the day is shadowed by the oak trees.

The garden is about 70ft long, and the only place we get any sunlight is on the patio which is only about 6ft deep.

Who should I moan to? The trees are in 3 seperate gardens.

Council? The houses the trees are in are either council or ex council houses.

Sponsored Links
You could ask the people who own the trees ie the house owner, if they would mind if you reduced the trees, if they are happy for you to do that then you will need permission from the council.

Im only guessing

Of course, you are likely to get the reply's like "IF the trees were there when you moved in, why did you move there?"

Perhaps the council have just not managed these trees over the past few years & as suggested they need cutting back a bit.

Sponsored Links
you may find that the trees have been there longer than the houses and that they have a far greater right (as far as tree preservation goes) to be there.

there are instances where the owner of the tree can remove limbs of a certain diameter i.e. 75mm or so.

if these trees are not on your land or do not overhang your land then you are likely to meet stiff opposition.

i am inundated with leaves every autumn and the only trees i have are evergreens! i happen to have a 6' wall that acts as a windbreak leaving piles of leaves on my drive. :rolleyes:

^neo^ - first have a chat with the 'owners' of the trees explaining the issues you have and see if they'll agree to have some surgery done, maybe reducing the crowns, lifting some lower limbs or a bit of thinning-out. If they do agree you'll have to apply for consent (is it a Conservation Area). Even so, as you're in London get in contact with the Local Authority Tree Officer for an informal chat) to see what she/he has to say (in my experience they're very helpful), maybe the "3 large oak trees" will have Preservation Orders on them (quite likely if they're 'Specimen trees') so your options will be very limited. All this pre-supposes the owners are in agreement with you, but you're the one who'll have to pay for the job ... expect to fork-out circa £200 per tree. If the owners aren't sympathetic to your problem then it's off to see 'our learned friends'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back