Trench fill level too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just finished my foundations and despite making multiple calculations, the confusion of trying to make a block and beam floor meet an existing floor level has somehow left me with a concrete level 360mm below the bottom of the beams instead of 450mm. The plan was two rows of blocks below the beams but now I assume blocks will need to be cut? Is there a way that existing foundation blocks can be arranged to make 360mm without cuts? Diagram attached to show details.

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 14.49.29.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 14.49.29.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 306
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I've just finished my foundations and despite making multiple calculations, the confusion of trying to make a block and beam floor meet an existing floor level has somehow left me with a concrete level 360mm below the bottom of the beams instead of 450mm. The plan was two rows of blocks below the beams but now I assume blocks will need to be cut? Is there a way that existing foundation blocks can be arranged to make 360mm without cuts? Diagram attached to show details.

Paul
You could easily do it with 5 course of bricks tight bedded. Bit of a pig with blocks though. 360mm less one course of blocks leaves you with a horrible number -135mm. It's neither here nor there in terms of block course efficiency.

Your FFL doesn't make any sense i.e. finishing mid brick...? There is inadequate allowance for screed and insulation, unless you intend cheating on the insulation?

Sponsored Links
Bricks are not a problem. Have you already got the blocks?

No not got anything yet. I assume I’ll need some pretty strong bricks to support a concrete floor. Also, could it would work to do a row of foundation blocks with 2 rows of brick on top, with very thin joints?

Also, could it would work to do a row of foundation blocks with 2 rows of brick on top, with very thin joints?
I would go for 5 brick courses. Trying to lose that much in 2 courses of brickwork would be really difficult.

Your FFL doesn't make any sense i.e. finishing mid brick...? There is inadequate allowance for screed and insulation, unless you intend cheating on the insulation?

Thats just matching the floor level of the existing property. The floor will continue from the existing lounge into a new dining room/kitchen. The floor level finishes mid brick. I didn’t realise that wasn’t normal.

The insulation is 75mm with 22mm board on top. There will be self levelling compound on that and vinyl click floor

No not got anything yet. I assume I’ll need some pretty strong bricks to support a concrete floor.
You could use concrete commons where they are not seen. If you get some frogged ones it could help for the first course if the footing concrete is a bit high in places as they are easier to crop than solid ones.

The floor is screeded, just drop the beams to work bricks or blocks or concrete bricks, lego bricks, casio calculators whatever, and then make up the FFL with screed or insulation. No need for NASA on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back