Trevatine Tiling Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of advice on my tiling project if you don’t mind as again I appear to be getting conflicting info from different experts and as I’m Nobby Novice I’m a bit stuck in the middle.

If I give you the scenario perhaps you could tell me the best way to go about my tiling in terms of plastering, skimming, not skimming, waterproofing, tile to weight ratios etc etc.

We are converting a bedroom into a bathroom. The house is pre 1900 and I have so far patched the plaster walls were I felt it necessary, and have plaster boarded the ceiling (directly over the existing ceiling). We are also building a stud wall cubicle for the shower – with 5¼ inch stud work and plasterboard with recessed shelves on the outside.

We are hoping to use Trevatine stone tiles (600 by 300) on the floor, wall and shower cubicle if possible - although we will possibly go smaller on the wall - for a floor to ceiling finish.

How do we go about preparing the old plaster to accept the tiles, can we tile directly on to plasterboard, do we waterproof it, should we skim it.

Any general advice and do’s and don’ts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should construct the shower out of Aquapanel and tank this with BAL WP1 tanking system or similar.

Do not skim any plasterboard that is being tiled.

Any plaster should be clean and dust free.

Prime any plaster or plasterboard with BAL APD or similar - do not use PVA.

As long as the stone is not more than 12mm thick you should be ok, if it is thciker than that, repost and I'll calculate any problems you may have.

Weight is the issue.

Use a white powdered, cement based adhseive desinged for the stone, seal it before it's grouted, seal it after it's grouted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back