Trevi Boost Install Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renting a place with extremely old plumbing; one of the many things that doesn’t work is the shower. This is an old Mira, which, according to Mira ceased production in about 1979.

The property owner has agreed to pay me to replace the shower and will provide a tiler – as I am no good at stuff like that. The shower is in a shower room with the pipe work buried in a solid wall. The property is a converted cow shed and so is of single story construction.

The mains water pressure is extremely good, but at the moment, all but the kitchen sink cold tap is on gravity supplies.

To avoid any electrical work (and expense) I bought a new Trevi Boost exposed shower, thinking that it would be simplicity itself to convert the cold feed to mains pressure as the shower requires.

Not having fitted one of these units before, I was surprised to see that it required a 22mm hot feed. This will be difficult to provide without removing the shower tray and the majority of tiles below the existing Mira.

Looking at the pipe work, the hot feed is in 22mm until the last 1-1.5M, when it drops down to 15mm.

The performance of the existing shower is poor as I only have a small positive head, but it does work after a fashion – the only reason for this work is that the thermostatic unit has failed.

Reading the instructions it appears that the reason for the 22mm requirement is that a greater volume of hot is required since the water will always be mixed with cold due to the venturi principle of operation.

Given the circumstances that I have described, does anyone know how the shower is likely to perform? I know that I can always increase the HW temperature to compensate but I would like both decent temperatures and flow rates. I know that I could always install it and check and if necessary convert to 22mm but I am reluctant to do this, as the extra work would be considerable. As I got the Trevi at a good price (£130) I can always sell it on as brand new and get a more suitable unit.

I have not called Trevi yet as I am pretty sure that they are going to say “22mm, 22mm, 22mm, 22mm etc” so I would be interested in anyone’s ‘real world’ experience or alternative suggestions.

Apologies for the long post!

Sponsored Links
I've fitted several of these, and I quite like them as a technical solution.

However, the advantage can easily be outweighed by the disadvantage, as in your case, of considerable work to install it. In some properties it's easy and it's a no-brainer.

I would always use 22mm for the hot feed to any unpumped gravity-fed shower. And with the Boost it's even more important because you'll be fitting a check valve to prevent any fault resulting in the mains backfeeding the hot service, and even with a full-bore check valve the restriction is a bit much for 15mm.

Have you considered keeping the existing pipework and supplying the shower via a twin impeller pump fed from gravity supplies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back