Trianco 15/19 PRO BF Oil Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The oil was admittedly quite low, so we reordered, and now it won't heat at all. There seems to be about 5mm of water in the base of the boiler, and when we press the red lock-out button (the only button on the internal face of the boiler), it fires for around 10 seconds, then cuts out.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean 'it fires for around 10 seconds, then cuts out'
Do you mean the boiler flashes up and a flame is established for 10 seconds. Or is it going through the flash up procedure (with electrodes sparking) which probabley lasts about 10 seconds and goes to lockout without a flame being established.
I would think if a flame is not established then it's cause theres no oil at the nozzle. By running out of oil. you've allowed air in the pipe which you need to bleed out at the oil pump. Or has some sludge been drawn into the oil pipe. Could be! but I think air is the most likely cause.
Mind you I've only ever worked on one domestic oil boiler and it wasn't a trianco.
:rolleyes:

Both, for the standard issue "covers all problems" solution, and a possible explanation of problem. I cannot see any ignition light, and we cleaned the photocell to see if that made any difference.

Checking back, the nozzle hasn't been replaced for 19 months! Is this easily do-able, or well worth a service engineer?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The flame has to be established so the light from it keeps the photo cell active. By active I mean switched on. No flame equals no light, so photo cell remains off, and so does boiler. The control box allows 10 to 20 seconds for the flame to be established, otherwise back to lockout.
I don't think for a moment the nozzle is the problem, but it needs oil to come from it to be ignited and it either does or does not.
Can you establish if the nozzle gets wet with oil?
If you've run out of oil. 'air' is the most likely problem. So bleed the pump and try again.
You won't see an ignition light as such, but you may see the sparks generated at the tip of the electrodes, but the chances are it's an air lock problem.
Out of interest! Now you've got oil, is the level of oil in your tank higher or lower than the oil pump on your boiler.

How easy is it to get to the nozzle/bleed the pump?

Thanks for your diagnosis so far!

This appears to come from the connection to the flue, so that is one jubilee clip tighted and THAT problem solved.

Bleed valve will be on pump and easy to get to. Nozzle will be down in the burner, you might be able to see it using mirror and light, but you couldn't change it in situ.

This appears to come from the connection to the flue, so that is one jubilee clip tighted and THAT problem solved.
Water from your flue? I guess its not condensing (white overflow pipe running out the side of the boiler to drain water).
If its balanced flue there is flexible hose running from burner to flue connection (it suck in air there)?
Be careful bleeding the pump, it builds up lots of pressure you could get an eyeful if you press the red button at the same time! Bleed port should be facing you.

Any pictures?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back