Trianco 70/90 - any advice gratefully received.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post.

Boiler - Trianco 70/90, burner ecoflam 4, pump danfoss bfp 11, control satronics, vertical flue (long), single pipe feed - about 50 inches 'head' acting on burner from tank through 'long' feed - 50 -60ft.

Background:

Needed to run oil tank dry at start of year to do maintenance on oil tank - weeping plug - did not fancy trying to tighten with a lot of oil in the tank. I was aware that I would need to clean out the system once I filled up again. Once I had the tank replenished- cleaned the pump out and ran 1/2 bucket of oil through the feed from the tank - as it happened the outlet for the tank was above the bottom of the tank and there was little muck drawn up. Started up the burner- didn't sound quite right, checked flue - smoky - shut it down- total running time 5 minutes. Realised that I had put the 1 pipe feed washer on the wrong allen nut when rebuilding the pump - no recirculation - overpressurised feed to nozzle - very rich burn. Stripped it down - put washer in correct place. Hoovered out the soot from the boiler and baffles (great job).

Situation now: Boiler initiates start sequence but does not ignite mixture. Sequence happens in correct order, purge, ignition starts (have run it outside the boiler to look at it 'sparking').

The oil supply does not seem to reach the nozzle in a 'combustable' state. some fuel does however get there - the nozzle is damp after an attempted firing.

Actions taken:

Checked pump pressure at pressure test point - 115 - 120psi as per trianco documentation.

Solenoid valve seems to work OK. I have tested the pumping mechanism in a non combusting environment - i.e. with pump pumping fuel into a bucket with the solenoid valve bypassed (blank plug) to ensure that it is not causing problems. During this test the pump was incapable of pumping any appreciable fuel through the supply pipe work to the nozzle (with the nozzle removed to make life easy). I replaced the supply pipe to the nozzle with a plain tube and the pump succeed in pumping fuel into the bucket - not at any great pressure though.

Questions:

In spite of the Ok readings at the pump pressure measuring point have I damaged the pump by overpressurising the system (through stupidity). The fuel that I pumped during my test seemed satisfactory in terms of volume by time but I was expecting a bit more pressure. Or does the pressure achieved depend on the back pressure from the nozzle assembly?

During my pumping test I was surprised that I was unable to pump any fuel through the piping/nozzle assembly (without nozzle installed). I attempted to 'clear' the assembly via an air line. Although I could get some air through it required a lot of pressure - again no nozzle installed. Should this pipe work be entirely free to blow through - their is no way I can blow through it normally. i.e. is the pump not delivering enough pressure or is the pipe in some way 'blocked'.

Do you think I need a new pump, a new nozzle assembly or both? Is there anything else you think I should check as well? BTW I have changed the nozzle since the unfortunate 'rich burn' event. Could I check the output pressure from the pump by putting the meter on the output of the pump?.

Can anyone suggest a supplier for the nozzle assembly/supply pipe/electrode holder. I seemed to have to no trouble finding the danfoss pump but less luck with the ecoflam part.

Many thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide. If you are thinking - 'why did he not get and engineer in'? The guy who installed it, a good friend, was carted off to hospital a couple of days ago for an emergency bypass. The other local guy would not attend as I did not have a regular service contract.

Sorry this such a long post!!!

Sponsored Links
You will need someone with the correct equipment to setup the boiler.
Probably a new pump. But leave that to the engineer.
Nothing you can do to the boiler without it.

Have you cleaned the filter inside the pump, within the allen bolted cover?
Its a white gauze affair, or metal gauze if its elderly
The pump may be crocked though....test it with the nozzle in place. Use a pressure gauge to see if it will pump up to 140 psi - if it can, it should be ok.
John :)

If you've drawn some water and muck out of the tank even though you have flushed it through some may have got into the pump and blocked the filter as Burnerman says but also water will not pass easily through the sintered filter within the burner nozzle itself. Can't clean that either!

You will need to flush it again and replace the nozzle.

You will then need an engineer to check and reset the oil pressure and combustion settings.

And no it is unlikely that you will have damaged the pump by overpressure but will have by the water and muck that you may have drawn into it. I've removed internally rusty pumps in the past!

Sponsored Links
Undoing the 4 allen bolts to reveal the filter is ok. If you've undone the 3 allen bolts under the filter where the 1 pipe washer is the pump will be scrap because they cannot be rebuilt by hand properly. Needs factory machine assembly. Get someone to fit a new pump and set it up properly. Stix.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions:

Have cleaned out the mesh filter in the pump - bit of grit caught - not much really - did it with heating oil bath and soft paintbrush.

Don't think I had any water drawn up. No evidence (sludge) etc. The tank outlet is above the bottom of the tank. Have drawn off 1/2 a bucket of oil since to check for 'crap'.

Have changed the nozzle back to one that was used before I ran the tank dry - so no danger of having the nozzle filter 'gunged up'.

Have checked the pump pressure at the recommended outlet point on the pump - makes 115psi easily and can be adjusted up. Bit hard to be precise as the pump is only operating until the lockout. Plan to get another 1/8 BSP blanking plug and test the output of the pump at the outlet that goes to the nozzle - see if the pressure is maintained at that point.

Does anyone have any idea whether I should be able to blow easily through the pipe that leads to the nozzle (with the nozzle removed). I feel that it should not be that difficult - but it is nigh on impossible even with a garage airline.

Once again many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and offer advice - at least it is not too cold tonight.

I would have thought that you should be able to pump lots of oil through the pipe to the nozzle !

Hopefully, you have a simpe blockage in this component!

Tony

That pipe should be completely clear, and easy to blow through.
Sounds like you've found the problem!
John :)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Before I attack the pipe assembly - it looks like an aluminium flange that has been sweated onto a brass fitting, I tried to source a replacement (in the expectation that I will probably b***r it up trying to take it apart) - the burner diagram suggests that it is all one piece.

So far have tried Oil Burner Spares - their web site is showing the part as not available (they put me on to Elcoflam.com - no part with that number and only answer phone when I called; also all the usual web sites that google suggests - without success.

Does anyone know a site or supplier that it may be worth getting in contact with. Have tried garage air line and guitar strings so far to clear the blockage with out success.

Again - many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back