Trick Question

Sponsored Links
It is not an immediate danger so code 2. The 12 ohms is not a fail because it will not trip the protective device, it clearly will trip the RCD, but if 12 ohm then some where there has to be a bad connection. As to 1.5mm² on a B32 MCB well under 3 meters there is an argument but with 12 ohms clearly not under 3 meters so clearly code 2.

I feel giving code 1 where there is no immediate danger means people may not act when there is immediate danger. Where I see a problem with any EICR is what you do if you do have a real code 1? In the main we turn off the supply to test, that means we had to get permission to turn it off. Once turned off we can't turn it back on with a code 1, but also we can't leave a domestic premises in a state considered as unfit for human habitation. We need to ensure there is alternative accommodation for the occupants.

The Thirza Whittall case shows how to arrange for inspections or repairs is not good enough. If the premises is faulty then it needs you to arrange for alternative accommodation.

So question is code 2 acceptable as a reason to put the occupants into a hotel until repaired?

What would happen if the heater went short circuit?
We don't know what the L-N loop impedance is.

For this seven metre, single load radial circuit with a Ze of 0.5Ω, it should be around 0.67Ω and perfectly satisfactory.
With a Ze of 0.5Ω, an L-N loop of 0.67Ω and Zs of 12Ω it is clear where the fault is/would be.

Is this the only circuit with such values - clearly CPC fault - or are all circuits the same - TNS earth connection or sheath failing, call DNO?
Edit - Ignore - forgetting Ze is reasonable.

I am still puzzled why the thread is titled "Trick Question".

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would be its own fuse.
I read it as the B32 breaker being the only overcurrent protection.
There is NOT a 13amp fuse-connection unit inline.
EDIT: Ah, just twigged what you mean. I'm not sure the element would fuse, at least not in any way I'd want to rely on. It's not like a heater in free air that would get "quite hot" and probably melt quite quickly, this is in water which would (I suspect) be fairly effective at avoiding it overheating too quickly.

EDIT: Ah, just twigged what you mean. I'm not sure the element would fuse, at least not in any way I'd want to rely on.
I'm sure it would be a common occurrence if that were the case.

If the element could withstand 26A, it wouldn't be very effective at its 13A design.
Plus it wouldn't be a solid connection at the break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back