Trim 635mm laminate worktop down to 600mm wide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Adding another worktop related post to the fray.
I can't see anywhere on tinterweb about reducing the width of a worktop.
Which makes me think that it's probably not a great idea.

I've ordered 3m lengths of laminate worktop that is 635mm wide for a kitchen fit.
Ideally, they need to be 600mm wide, otherwise the overhang will be 53mm.

Is it possible/feasible/sensible for a novice DIY'er to reduce the width of the worktops by 35mm using a circular saw and a fine toothed blade?

Or would it be better to just set the kitchen base units off the wall using battening and not bother with attempting to cut the worktops?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Its not controversial -pretty common for a kitchen fitter to trim the back of a worktop.

the cut edge needs to be sealed after -Ive tended to use grey roofing seal.

mind you most kitchen fitters would be much happier with a 635mm worktop -more room to push appliances back far enough without hitting a waste pipe or mains water feed.

cant you bring the units forward?

Thanks for the response.
I’ve just measured up and realised if I bring the units forward at the top it means the left hand run doesn’t end flush with the end of the wall it’s backing onto (kitchen is an upside down L shape)

Sponsored Links
Easy to trim , cut upside down if using circular saw, extra width allows for adjustment for uneven walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back