Trimming a roller blind with a circular saw!

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

I've just successfully done this. It resulted in a nice clean cut. It just needed one or two small stray frayed threads separating out afterwards. Nice and easy and I'd definitely do it the same way again.

For reference:

The blind was a blackout blind, with a sort of fabric-based plastic on an aluminium roll core. I expect that the plastic in the fabric was a good thing for easy cutting.
The saw was a normal chop-saw/mitre saw with a standard TCT "wood" blade, it didn't have a fine-tooth or metal blade in it.
I used masking tape to keep it rolled tightly together, and went through slowly with the saw, mostly to ensure that the heat from the metal core didn't melt the plastic in the fabric.

I've just successfully done this. It resulted in a nice clean cut. It just needed one or two small stray frayed threads separating out afterwards. Nice and easy and I'd definitely do it the same way again.

For reference:

The blind was a blackout blind, with a sort of fabric-based plastic on an aluminium roll core. I expect that the plastic in the fabric was a good thing for easy cutting.
The saw was a normal chop-saw/mitre saw with a standard TCT "wood" blade, it didn't have a fine-tooth or metal blade in it.
I used masking tape to keep it rolled tightly together, and went through slowly with the saw, mostly to ensure that the heat from the metal core didn't melt the plastic in the fabric.
How did you shorten the fabric to prevent binding on the roller ( it has to be shorter than the roller to work correctly.).?

Sponsored Links
How did you shorten the fabric to prevent binding on the roller ( it has to be shorter than the roller to work correctly.).?
I didn't. The plastic inserts on my blind didn't seem to need it. It does not snag on them. At a pinch you could add a millimetre or so of spacer on the insert?
i.

I didn't. The plastic inserts on my blind didn't seem to need it. It does not snag on them. At a pinch you could add a millimetre or so of spacer on the insert?
i.
It will eventually foul on the roller ends with use .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back