Roller Blind Advice Needed - Too Much Light Coming In!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After ages of searching, I finally found a Roller blind that I really like & matches the decor in my room with the type of design I was looking for.

I bought the following blind as it was a dark grey/black pattern combo I wanted & it seemed quite tightly weaved & I thought it would be perfect for the job. Also, being very dark & tightly weaved, I did not think there would be an issue with excessive light coming through - no way for me to check in store as it was all packaged up & once opened, the store would not accept returns.

I was very happy with the way it looked but boy, in the morning, it lets in so much light that it really does not seem to be that much of a help or benefit - the sun is still able to shine quite brightly into the room which is very distracting. I cannot return it or find anything else similar & was wondering if there are any tips or tricks of the trade that I can use to make it so that I can reduce the amount of light coming through?

Out of desperation, I have thought of applying to the back of the blind things like spray paint, various types of tapes, glueing another piece of cloth/material etc but am concerned that it might might work or the blind may not roll up properly!

As it is a large Roller Blind - 180cm Wide x 160cm Long, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Bozzi!

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/soft-f...rd-Design-Black-Grey-W-180-x-L-160cm-10006707

Sponsored Links
I had the same, nothing will really work. You need a "blackout" blind.

Sold the blind to a neighbour and bought a blackout one. Even then the sun got around the edges, best is to buy one that goes over the window rather than sit in the alcove.

Sponsored Links
The only way I know of is to go to blackout material, as already suggested, although its' performance can be greatly improved by boxing-in the roller and running the blind in a U-section channel - just lke you'd do in a real darkroom. Doesn't look too pretty, though......... Maybe you should just fit decent quality, thick, lined curtains

If you have a recess then blackout roller inside and your roller on the outside.

I know you have sold this blind, just to let you now you can purchase blackout 'protectors' kits which sit on the reverse of the slats and help deflect any bothersome light backout

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back