Trimming Internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trimmed and hung internal doors before, but I struggle to trim the doors by myself.

Whats the best way to trim the doors when you don't have any help to hold the doors i.e keeping the door still.

I have seen a blackanddecker workbench that has two height settings.

Any suggestions please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
noseall said:
i park the door between my legs. ;)

yep same here :D :D :D

although another tip 2 battons of wood on the floor serve several tasks

out door

to stop the edge off the door getting dammaged or picking up grit that can dammage planer blades or the floor and door frames inside

in door

under hinges to protect floor [use new battons that havent been used outside and picked up grit]

and the same battons + screwdriver or large chisel to pivot on as a foot lift

Use a piece of 6" x 2" about 24" long, cut a slot in the centre about 3" deep, wide enough to take your door.

Stand it on the floor, and drop your door in the slot, use a padded tapered wedge to hold the door firmly....Job done

If you make 2, door edge stays horizontal to floor.

Add other slots for different thicknesses

trazor said:
Use a piece of 6" x 2" about 24" long, cut a slot in the centre about 3" deep, wide enough to take your door.

Stand it on the floor, and drop your door in the slot, use a padded tapered wedge to hold the door firmly....Job done

If you make 2, door edge stays horizontal to floor.

Add other slots for different thicknesses

i'm fairly sure, a money earning pro, will find the 'between the legs' option quicker and less fussy.

p.s. doesn't a wedge split the wood? :eek:

I push a fine tapered wedge in with my fingers, lightly....works for me...Takes a few seconds...... :)

Keeps door edges/hinges/catches off the floor, less damage to door and floor...
Door stays where it is, fetch tools/cups of tea..... :LOL:
I,m 6' 3" ....better working height for my back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back