triple glazing or double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had 4 quotes to install upvc windows 2 companies said no to triple glazing and 2 were for triple glazing , i cant understand why the difference

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i have had 4 quotes to install upvc windows 2 companies said no to triple glazing and 2 were for triple glazing , i cant understand why the difference
Two do not stock triple glazing?
no they just advised not to install it as not much better than double
Why would they stock something they don't recommend.
they said they could if i wanted it but as it is extra cost not to bother i want the best thermal window i can buy cost is not a problem , quality is what i want

Two do not stock triple glazing?
no they just advised not to install it as not much better than double
Why would they stock something they don't recommend.
they said they could if i wanted it but as it is extra cost not to bother i want the best thermal window i can buy cost is not a problem , quality is what i want
so you have answered your question.. ;)

Triple glazing needs to be at least a 44mm unit for any benefits but they are negligible for the extra money it costs.
More seals on the units are more seals that can fail and mist up which will lead to more frequent replacements that cost more.
The reduced air gaps in the glass can increase noise transmittance.
The frames lose more heat than double glazed units so in theory better frames would be the way to go.
Personally I also worry about about the longevity of the hinges with the extra weight.

I think its more of a sales gimmick (profit making tool) for now in this country and more suited to colder environments, Although the technology improvements are coming thick and fast at the moment so some day soon I will probably be recommending it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back