Tripping shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I upgraded my shower to an 8.5Kw Galaxy G7000 model back in March. At the time I asked a helpful sparks about the most powerfull shower I could run on the wiring at hand: RCD 63amps, 6mm cable run of 13m on a 32 amp fuse. After careful pencil sucking and scribbling on the back of a fag packet he said 8.5Kw. Fitted the shower, no problems, until now. Trips RCD when switching on unit. CU is fed from mains fuse board in cellar and fuse trips here taking out the whole board.

Any ideas as to why this has just started to happen?

Called Galaxy about 2 year warranty and the woman on the phone just said "you need a 40amp fuse love"

Help, please

Sponsored Links
What kind of route does your 13M of 6mm2 T&E take?
Does it enter any trunking or conduit, run within any insulation or bunched with any other cables.

Agree with the 40A MCB, I just hope your cable will be adequate.

If the RCD is tripping then there will more than likely be a fault with the shower.

shower has worked every day since March.

Cable is in trunking for 2m then under floor

Sponsored Links
An 8.5KW load will draw about 36 Amps, but .....

.....If it's popping the RCD, it sounds like a fault somewhere, irrespective of (over)loading the cable or MCB.

fryking said:
shower has worked every day since March.

Cable is in trunking for 2m then under floor

Unless you take the cable out of trunking you'll be needing to upgrade to a 10mm2 cable when protection is by a 40A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back