Help with installing my new 8.5kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m quite novice to all of this DIY lark. I need some help with the electrics of fitting a new shower in my bathroom.

Basically my 5KW electric shower is now only giving cold water, it has been running for years so i have presumed it has packed up. I went out to Homebase and bought a 8.5kw Mira shower to replace it.

The fuse for the shower in the main fuse box is a 30amp fuse, will this be enough? Also how do i check what diameter the wiring is to make sure this is sufficient? if anyone knows what is the minimum diameter of wiring needed for an 8.5kw shower?

Lastly if I do need to replace the 30 amp fuse to say for example a 40amp, how do i check my main fuse box can take this?

Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Sponsored Links
This is not a DIY job, you really need an electrician in.

Also as this work is in a bathroom you need to notify building control and pay the fee or call in a registered electrician who can notify for you

Your cable could need upgrading.
It is unlikey putting in a bigger fuse in your fuse board will be safe.
You will probably need a RCD fitted.
And all the earthing and bonding should be checked to make sure it is safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back