Tripping!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
electric tripped knocking off upstairs lights and downstairs sockets,reset and narrowed it down to downstairs sockets.. Went round switching certain sockets off and electric came back on as normal when the spur to the extractor fan/ignition to gas hob was off.. The hob was already one so hadn't tried to light it and extractor fan was off.. I've left switch off and everything is working fine.. Just wondered why it would trip when not getting used.

Sponsored Links
Because the RCD will trip if there is a fault on the live, or the neutral leg of a circuit.

On many appliances, the on/off switch only disconnects the live connection, leaving the neutral still connected.

If the RCD can be reset and everything works then it looks like it was just a temporary fault and all is now OK.

Does it trip again if the suspect device is switched on again? You only need to be concerned if it trips again.

Thanks..
I had left the fused spur off when I switched it back on it tripped again :(
Could it just be a fuse( not got one to try yet) or am I likely to need an electrician in? I never use extractor fan and can use a lighter to ignite the hob so am I ok leaving it switched off for now?

Have you unplugged everything, not just switched off at plug sockets, but taken the plugs out of the sockets?

RCD tend to be tripped by equipment that have heating elements that have gone faulty.

Sponsored Links
Have you been washing the hob down or had a pan boil over? It could be you have got water in it, which should mean it will be ok when it dries out. But the only way to find out for sure is disconnect the wires to each appliance one at a time at the flu & see which causes the problem. Switching off the power each time you connect/disconnect something obviously.

From what I can remember when the kitchen was fitted the extractor and ignition were wired directly into the switched fused spur.. There are no plugs plugged in on any of the nearby sockets that the spur could have been taken from.

So when the fuse spur is switched off, the RCD will set without tripping and when you switch the fused spur on it then trips?

So you have a problem downstream of the fused spur, so either an appliance fault or an installation fault. More investigation is required, can you remove both from load.

Yes that's what's happens... I did have a pan boil over earlier as was mentioned.
Removing them from load goes over my head lol..am I safe leaving the spur switched off ?

Yes that's what's happens... I did have a pan boil over earlier as was mentioned. ... am I safe leaving the spur switched off ?
Yes, if the problem is the hob (or the fan) it will be safe with spur switched off. As has been said, if a little water got into the electrics when the pan boiled over, it should sort itself out once that has dried out - but that could take some time.

The only definitive way of proving that the hob is the culprit would be to disconnect it from the fused spur, but you probably don't want to do that. However, if the problem does not going away on its own (e.g. due to 'drying out'), someone will have to do that.

Kind Regards, John

Spur still switched off.. Cooker RcD tripped this morning.. Wiring checked an all tightly in and nothing blackened. Reset RcD and fine again.
About 15 mins later something went pop( don't know what it was and nothing was switched on)
My husband thinks that when the kitchen went in there was a cable from a double socket further down the wall to the cooker isolation switch. ( all chased in and tiled over!) the kettle is always in this socket. Any chance is could be as easy as a dodgy kettle( I live in hope)? Reset RcD and all working again inc cooker and kettle.
I'm cooking for 10 people later so am expecting a disaster.. Will unplug everything not getting used and hope for the best!

As has been suggested, i think you have water in the connections of the gas hob and possibly the oven if it's under the hob.

Regards,
DS

the kettle is always in this socket. Any chance is could be as easy as a dodgy kettle( I live in hope)? Reset RcD and all working again inc cooker and kettle.

There is a chance that the kettle is responsible, anything with a faulty heating element could be the cause. I would leave it unplugged and see how things progress. But it seems the issue has become apparent after water spillage at the hob, so that at this moment is the prime suspect in this case.
But we can not totally rule out others!

Spur still switched off.. Cooker RcD tripped this morning.. Wiring checked an all tightly in and nothing blackened. Reset RcD and fine again. ... I'm cooking for 10 people later so am expecting a disaster.. Will unplug everything not getting used and hope for the best!
Given that water in the hob, and maybe also oven, electrics is definitely a possible cause, it might be an idea to switch the oven on for an hour or two before you need to cook for these 10 people, in the hope that that may 'dry out' any water/moisture which is around. That may reduce the risk of things going wrong when you are 'cooking in anger' later!

Kind Regards, John

it might be an idea to switch the oven on for an hour or two before you need to cook for these 10 people, in the hope that that may 'dry out' any water/moisture which is around. That may reduce the risk of things going wrong when you are 'cooking in anger' later!

Or standby with an order for Hungry House

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back