Triton Cara Electric shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'd appreciate some advice if there is anyone out there who can help.

Although not a professional I am a fairly competetent DIY amateur. Yesterday I replaced our old Triton shower (which had started leaking and which was at least 16 years old it was here when we moved in) with a Triton Cara 9.5Kw electric shower. The installation went very well and apart from rerouting some pipework there was no problem at all, or didn't seem to be.

Once installed I ran it through the commissioning procedure (flushing it through) and there was no problem. I then fitted the head and tested it and it ran fine. This morning my wife got in the shower before going to work, it started fine, then midway through her shower it packed up, the water stopped flowing. She had it set to Eco and 7 or 8 on the temp setting.

The situation now is that power is getting to the unit as the neon lamp lights. No fuses tripped but when starting the shower (turning the dial to hot, eco or cold) nothing happens. I will phone Triton later but the guarantee reads as if you fit it yourself your not covered! (not sure what their interpretation of competent installer would be) I've checked all the plumbing and wiring...no problem.

I suspect the solenoid but even if right why would it fail so quickly?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll get my meter on it.

However, I've noticed in the small print of the installation booklet (and I mean small!!) that the consumer unit should be rated at 80A and mine is only 60A. Could that be the problem? Or if not could it lead to another problem?

On the other hand it did work ok when commissioning, testing and for half a shower! Have I screwed up here, why don't they print this info in big letters on the box.

Be grateful for your opinion

However, I've noticed in the small print of the installation booklet (and I mean small!!) that the consumer unit should be rated at 80A and mine is only 60A. Could that be the problem? Or if not could it lead to another problem?
You can ask your elec company about getting it upgraded.
You've just got more chance of tripping it if your running everything in your home ie as your shower willbe using a large percentage of it.

On the other hand it did work ok when commissioning, testing and for half a shower! Have I screwed up here
Be grateful for your opinion

Won't be the reason for your fault.

Sponsored Links
As said above, the shower will take about 38amps so if your missus had the oven, ring and kettle on, you could easily exceed the rating of a 60amp CU, symtoms would bne overheating, even blowing the main fuse if it is 60amp. 80amp gives you more spare capacity.

Just to say thanks for the advice. It was the solenoid. Now working fine.

However, having just been quoted 'about £400' over the phone for a new CU to be fitted and registered I have decided to 'downgrade' to a straight swap (all the same accesses and fixings) 7.5kw model. A chart on lets-do-diy.com says 7.5kw is ok for 60A. I'd be obliged for your opinions before I make another cock-up but there's no other reason to change the CU.

I've wasted £63 but you live and learn and I'll be more careful next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back