Triton Ivory II electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
I have a problem with the electrics on my Triton Ivory II shower. It suddenly stopped working the other night after a particularly cold weather spell in which I felt I had to turn the thermostat up to 10 to obtain water at a reasonable temperature (we normally run it on about 7-8 in winter and about 6 in the summer.) I'm not sure if this has got anything to do with the problem but 10 minutes after turning off the shower it wouldn't turn back on again.
Basically, there's a pull-cord attached to a square white plastic box attached to the ceiling to switch the shower on. Normally this will click and the shower will start. Now however, when the cord is pulled there is no click and consequently there is no water coming through.
I've unscrewed the top plastic "plate" attached to the ceiling box to try and look inside but although the screws have come out, the plate has remained firmly attached and I can't see any other point of access (not that I'd know what to do once inside anyhow.)
Another point of interest is that we had our (gas) central heating system drained the previous day by a Corgi plumber and the shower subsequently stopped working. Coincidence?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
your shower has nothing to do with the draining down.

have you checked the main fuse hasn't tripped in the consumer box.
if ok and then you need to check the pull cord.

but you say you had to turn shower to max to get a warm temp sounds like you have a blown element in the shower and these useally trip the main fuse.
it is also common to take the pull cord with it if the main fuse is over sized.

Hi,
I've checked the mains fuse (downstairs) and there's nothing there which has tripped. I should point out that we've had the shower for at least 3 years (possibly much longer as we've only lived here for the last 2 years.)
Do you know how I can get into the ceiling box to check the electrics there? There seems to be no point of access even from the attic.

you should see two screws in the ceiling pullcord remove them and the pull cord should pull down.

Sponsored Links
I've removed the screws but the pull cord still won't budge and the plastic "plate" attached to the ceiling box just won't come off.

can you get a small screw driver in between maybe melted together.
but it needs to come off to check. make sure main fuse is off first

Have just managed to switch off the electrics and have a look at the ceiling box. The "plate" wouldn't come off as the wires coming from the ceiling were far too short. Inside the box, nothing seems to have melted or burned out.
Also discovered today that we have a Volex Protector 2 way unit downstairs for the shower. Unfortunately, I only discovered this after switching off the mains electric and realising that it must have it's own power supply as it shorted on my touching it with an "electric" screwdriver. Then found that the Volex unit had a tripped switch.
Do you think this points to a burned out element in the heating unit of the shower?

you need to do a resistance test on the elements with a multi meter to be 100% sure
a good element will give 12 / 18 ohms.
do this with the mains off, useally the most common reason for tripping when power setting altered cause you bring in both elements.

Finally managed to test the shower's heating element and it gave a reading of 3.6 ohms on my multimeter. Does this mean that one of the elements inside is still working? Also, is it straightforward to replace the element as I've seen them for sale at around £45 (but possibly still no guarantee that it would work). Maybe better to replace the whole unit? Any idea what the charges would be to fit a new shower?

3.6 was the only reading I could manage from any of the points on the element so I presume that where I didn't get any reading at all was at the place where the element wasn't working.

3.6 was the only reading I could manage from any of the points on the element

ok but strange to get both low. their should be 4 prongs from the heat can 2 on left 2 on right.

2 on left is one element 2 on right are other element.

so I presume that where I didn't get any reading at all was at the place where the element wasn't working.

that don't make sense.

Maybe I'll try it again and see if I was testing it in the right place. Sounds like I didn't do it right.

Maybe I'll try it again and see if I was testing it in the right place. Sounds like I didn't do it right.

you got it on ohms test and the power off to shower.

if you test 1 pong from each side you shouldn't get a reading as they are not joined.

do 2 left then 2 right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back