Triton shower buzzing/MCB buzzing?

IMG_20230515_185142.jpg

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can find wrong with my untrained eye is the wiring to the ground floor sockets MCB that is shown in the pics above.

I can't remove the wiring from it so I'm guessing that needs sorting either way but would it be the problem with the shower?

That wiring needs to be trimmed back to good copper and insulation. A new MCB fitted and the ring final circuit that it protects needs testing .
Don't change the shower MCB to a 40 amp ,fit a new 32 amp.

Sponsored Links
Yes order 2 new 32 amps, 1 for the shower 1 for the sockets.

Make sure all connections are TIGHT, job done.

As it happened I couldn't get hold of a 40A so I bought two new 32A and fitted.

Cut back and cleaned up wiring to socket's MCB.

Just showered and no buzzing from C/U anymore.

I don't have a ring mains tester though so should I get an electrician out to check?

Also why would the socket's MCB look like that? Once I eventually got the wiring out of the top clamp of the MCB both the wiring and the MCB was heavily corroded.

The melted insulation was due to a high resistance? Maybe caused by the terminal coming loose? But don't understand why it was heavily corroded?

Last edited:
Could have just been a loose connection ,but it's certainly worth testing the circuit ,least of all to ensure the ring final is intact. If it's split you would effectively have two radial socket circuits ,and the 32amp breaker would be too high an amperage to protect the cables.

Can I just buy a ring mains tester from eBay or somewhere and test it myself? Is it just the type that's plugged into a socket and beeps etc if faulty?

Well hopefully once tested that's the end of it, thanks very much for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back