Trouble getting smooth finish on ceiling repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll admit I'm not very good at decorating, but I have managed fill in the odd wall hole, sand down and paint with satisfactory results.

However, I'm having trouble fixing up a water-damaged ceiling. We had a leaking drain above which damaged about one square metre of plasterboard - some of it cracks along a join, a few spots which went brittle leaving some holes to fill and some other general paint flaking. Nothing too major, I thought.

So I sanded it all down and filled in where necessary, but I'm now having trouble getting a smooth finish before painting. It's damn hard work sanding upside-down by hand and after ages, once I get it down to a level, the cracks and filled-in bits start breaking up ever so slightly. So I'm either left with still-bumpy filler proud of the surface, or where I sand further the cracks seem to want to come out again, or new paint flakes begin around the where the previous edge was.

So is there a trick to doing it neatly, or will damaged ceiling plasterboard just never look right?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back