Trouble sealing an Essex boss. Your fault NigeF, your idea!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a 2 1/4" essex Boss to the side of a 48x18, for a side immersion heater. Have the right , curved one and the right size holesaw.
Have put it it in 3 times with varying amounts of LSX and tightness. Still weeping, both from under white rubber washer and apparently down the thread.
Have no trouble with the smaller ones

I DO have a tool to hold the thing still while doing up the big nut. Most wouldn't, so I wonder how tight they should be.

I've been careful to get it oriented correctly and it's centered with respect to the the hole

Any ideas?

The thread HAS to leak, like a basin waste, down the thread, so it needs something. Maybe loctite string or twisted tape round it.
Alternative is a new cylinder.

These are a sadly typical British pathetic design...

Later - called the pathetic British company.

"We do recommend sealing compound"
No, you don't
"Oh don't we, I don't have the instructions to hand?"
OK, which sealing compound?
"Er, boss white or something"
You can't use Boss white on water.
"Oh, can't you?"

"Nobody else has had a problem"
Except all the people I've asked who've used the big ones.
And I am. I'm looking at scrapping the cylinder.
"We do do some different washers shaped to fit better"
Why's that?
"Some people prefer them"
To seal better?
"Yes, we'll send you some"
They help avoid the leaks nobody gets then?

Sponsored Links
:oops: :oops: :oops: We use to use dry hemp on the handhole studs round galv. hot tanks........no compound .........that worked ;) Also used to keep the rubber totally dry (lsx didn`t exist then) cuz B.W will rot rubber ( and I guess lsx will cause it to squidge out)

This is all very useful to me because I own a direct combi cylinder with a cross threaed bottom immersion hole. So I am about £300 down on a job where I had to provide another in it's stead at my expense. Kept it thinking one day I may have time to find a solution and recover some cost.

Maybe I can make a blank that will plug the old hole and insert a new flange like you. OK so it would have to be sold at knock down price and since it's direct and a combi is neither use nor ornament in my home, I would be glad for any amount even if it's half usual price for the sake of one immersion being out of line with other and funny blank in place where immersion should be.

Nah, sound like one of those jobs I'll never get round to but more junk ensuring I have to carry on paying rent on lockup.

Well I bought another oneyoucan hae at a discount if you like! I thought I might have to remove the one which was in there, which would have probably wrecked the rear split ring, which is a lump of cast brass.

Got it leakproof in the end by seeing where the especially weak spots are on a junk design.
You need something to hold the boss still while you're doing the big nut up. I have a tool I'd forgotten about which did it, but I reckon there's another way.
Can do pics if you like!
The hole is 3 3/8ths, = 86mm. Smaller would be better but I don't know if the split ring would go through then. I'd go about 82mm and jigsaw a bit more out if necessary next time.

Sponsored Links
Yes I'll have it, is that complete with original washers that "don't ever leak for anyone but you". Serves you right for being a c.rap plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back