Trouble with immersion heater (water not heating)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am hoping for some help as I am a complete novice to electrical problems and I have a problem with my immersion heater.

Firstly some details: The water heater is a Dimplex SCX, with a capacity of 130 litres. It has two heating elements and was running using a timer (with a booster button on it too) which stopped working and the water stopped heating.

I changed the fuses (there were two switches for it) and the timer started working but the water wasn't heating.

I called someone in and twice they changed the timer and both times it blew out (after a day) and the third time he installed a socket and plugged in a manual timer type thing (sorry for the poor description), and also he combined the two element switches in to one plug which plugs into this timer (phew!). Now the plug is getting hot and I have switched it off in case it blows out too.

Also after this I noticed some leaking of the pipes (this could be unrelated) however, could someone give some advice on what to do

Any help is appreciated and many thanks in advance either way

Nasir

Sponsored Links
I called someone in and twice they changed the timer and both times it blew out (after a day) and the third time he installed a socket and plugged in a manual timer type thing (sorry for the poor description), and also he combined the two element switches in to one plug which plugs into this timer (phew!). Now the plug is getting hot and I have switched it off in case it blows out too.
Nasir
Do you mean he put both cables into one plug?
Bloody Hell! When you want a plumber you can't find one!!!! When you don't..... :D

Sponsored Links
hi Eflimpudence

yes sorry I meant into one plug

Hi Andy

he changed one of the elements

thanks!

I don't fully understand what you've been left with.

Have you now got two single sockets with a heater plugged into each?

Any chance you could upload a photo of what you have in place?

Putting 3kw immersion heater on a 13amp plug isn't exactly the done thing, especially as its sounds like its used all the time.

Message to OP - as you've probably gathered your "someone" who came to help has shafted you with his ignorance. You'll get away with an immersion heater through a 13A plug, at least in the short term, if there's only ONE wired in. Also, in a two-heater immersion tank that's giving you problems like this, you only need one of the heaters connected, the bottom one. Suggest you find a new "someone" who is a provable electrician to sort you out.

PJ

Message to OP - as you've probably gathered your "someone" who came to help has shafted you with his ignorance.
Get pictures of his work, take them to trading standards, assuming you responded to an advert somewhere.
Suggest you find a new "someone" who is a provable electrician to sort you out.

PJ
Hopefully a recommendation from a friend / neighbour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back