Immersion heater timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a timer for a 13amp socket that a immersion heater can plug into?

Or will this over heat the wiring ?

I know some will not take high wattage.

Sponsored Links
the correct answers are

1) an immersion heater should not go into a plug and socket, because it is a fixed appliance that will draw its maximum load for frequent and prolonged periods, so should have a dedicated circuit.

2) immersion heater timers are extremely common and easily available.
For example
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Water_Heating_Index/Timers_Wired/index.html

If you have economy 7 or similar tariff electricity, different timers are available to save you money. The Horstmann ones seem very popular.

Hello again, John! The reality though is that many users do have immersion heaters attached to a plug (I myself am guilty) and the timer (plugged in) that I use actually stated on the package that it was suitable for this use. In my case it's on for a couple of hours during the day to top up when the boiler is off. It's on an upstairs main with just clocks etc. plugged in and I don't suppose there's much danger of overheating.

Sponsored Links
Sorry missed off important info.

This is in a block of flats and all the flats immersion heaters use the 13amp plug in type !

So long as the recommended plug in suggestions will not over hear unit or wiring may put this to tenant.

The other alternative is to turn on friday when home turn off sunday night before leaving, as the little man says simples . :D

The other alternative is to turn on friday when home turn off sunday night before leaving, as the little man says simples . :D
There has a debate going on for decades as to whether it is better (more economical) to turn immersion heaters on and off or to leave them on 24/7 (with their thermostat doing the controlling). If the cylinder is well insulated, then I suspect that there is not much difference in running costs (obviously only switched on over weekend if, as you seem to imply, the flat is only occupied at weekends).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back