Trunking in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to get the tileing and plumbing done for a new electric shower before the electrics for convenience reasons (don't want the sparky to wire up new shower in new shower room, disconnecting shower in main bathroom* and leave it without the tileing and plumbing done**, with us having to remove the newly wired shower to do those and all the while not having shower facilities)

Few diagrams needed from this point onwards, they are in here http://www.twobeds.com/upload/userfiles/adam_151/shower diagrams.GIF

This means I'll have to put something in the wall for the cable to be drawn down inside, now I'm guessing 10mm² T&E would a little tight in 25mm conduit, (the cable is what, 10*18mm and the inside diameter of the conduit will be about 22mm so the cable will fit across the diameter of the conduit, but where the sides come in its likely to be a bit tight at best and not go at all at worst (diagram A) ) and also where the conduit ends, it would probably be difficult to bring the cable out the end and forwards. (diagram B)

So I came up with the idea of using some appropiately sized trunking, and stopping the lid short of the end of the conduit (diagram C), now I know full well that trunking wasn't designed to be sunk into the wall, but I wan't to know if there is any reason why I shouldn't do it?

*Main bathroom is going to be trashed and refitted, it'll have a pumped shower instead of the current electric one

**plumbing and tileing to be DIYed, one day I'll invest in test equip and DIY electrics again with notification to LABC, but this shower is most likely going to be wired by a spark

EDIT: link actually pasted this time

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,

I cant see any problem with trunking in the wall after all it's only a cable way.

plumbing and tileing to be DIYed, one day I'll invest in test equip and DIY electrics again with notification to LABC, but this shower is most likely going to be wired by a spark

Whats all that about? There must be PP sparks on here who lives near you who can "partner" you. I know I would if you were closer.

You could bury it raw in plaster and satisfy BS7671! Trunking gives the cable airspace and increases its current carrying capacity so what you propose is fine!

My LABC offers two notification options:

a) You pay somewhere in the region of £100.00 and they inspect 1st fix, sometimes want to inspect testing procedure and then require you to provide the EIC for the work

b) You pay somewhere in the region of £250.00 and they inspect 1st fix, inspect 2nd fix and test the installation themselves

As somebody on here (I think it was BAS) pointed out, the LABC should offer to test & certificate by law! Mine have only very recently added option 'b'

If you can get option 'b' then you may be able to save yourself some money - you certainly seem knowledgeble enough to complete this task yourself!

I cant see how he will save money on option B. I could wire the shower and notify via the NIC for £ 300.00. Take away the hag of doing it yourself and materials....who's saving money.

Adam lives in a bungalow so the wiring is simple, its 1/2 days work at most.

IMO if I was Adam....he's more than competent...who would know.....who would care...certainly not the LABC

And before the house is sold at some time in the future just get a PIR done for the records which will cost about £ 150+vat

Sponsored Links
Fair point Pensdown but from Adam's previous posts, I thought he may want to do it for the experience

PompeySparks said:
Fair point Pensdown but from Adam's previous posts, I thought he may want to do it for the experience

pensdown said:
IMO if I was Adam....he's more than competent...who would know.....who would care...certainly not the LABC
;)

But I can't say do it yourself Adam and don't notify

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back