Truss Garage conversion Vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice and have searched online goggle etc and trailed this and other forums but cant seem to find anything that can answer my questions. So here goes i have a double garage attached to my house it is double length. It measures 10m Long and 5m Wide. I dont use all this space and it has just become a dumping ground for the kids and my wife to put anything they dont want out there. What im planning on doing is converting the back half into a room so it will measure 5m Long by 5m wide. What i want though is for it to have a vaulted ceiling with 4 Velux windows in it. The roof is made for Trusses i dont plan on vaulting the whole ceiling please see my picture i have attached its done in paint and i know it looks like something that a kid could draw but for now i just wanted to give people an idea of the shape of the room i want. I have a cousin that is an arcitect but at present he is away traveling and when he returns i will get him to draw my plans properly but for now i just thought i would see if people think its a lot of work and does the whole roof etc need to be removed? Im thinking about building a Block wall to divide the garage and new room would this add any strength to the roof trusses? The blue line is how i would like the shape i want the ceiling to be. And the red line i thought this maybe could be a timber could be fixed on each truss to stop the Trusses spreading again i could be all wrong but am looking for some advice on how it would be done?
View media item 90285

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be done, will likely need a couple of steels in and the remaining rafters will prolly need upgrading so that the ties of the trusses can be removed, as well as your poor cousin you'll need an SE to do a design and calcs for Building Control.

Yes it can be done, will likely need a couple of steels in and the remaining rafters will prolly need upgrading so that the ties of the trusses can be removed, as well as your poor cousin you'll need an SE to do a design and calcs for Building Control.
Basically this translates into..."you may as well build a new roof as it will probably similar in cost and better". :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replys. I did think about just removing the roof and building a new one. I have only ever built a pitched roof before on a large shed. Would C16 6X2 at 400mm centres be ok to go the span of 5m? I would also have collar ties bolted to the rafters that seem ok? Would the roof need purlins as it is a large span? It would have concrete tiles as they are currently on there at present so would just return them after the changes.I was thinking about building a Block wall in the middle of the garage to devide the rooms so i would take this right up to roof height would that be ok?

Sponsored Links
You would be better off either using attic trusses or build the dividing wall off a foundation and use this as mid-span support for all the roof stuff.

Would colar ties 2m from the ridge beam an supported from the middle wall allow for a smaller rafters? 11x2 seems like i be taking out half a forest for my supplies.lol 😂

Would colar ties 2m from the ridge beam an supported from the middle wall allow for a smaller rafters? 11x2 seems like i be taking out half a forest for my supplies.lol ��
Why don't you get the roof designed? Second guessing on here will not get you past Building Control.

Catlad was referring to the ceiling joists. The rafters, because they are sloping, will be much less in section size.

Our local truss rafter supplier would likely look at designing something for this type of job in view of getting the work. Do you have a local roof truss company?

Doing it yourself is a great idea for a lot of things but what nose is trying to tell you is its not worth going down your route, get it designed by a truss manufacturer there will still be plenty for you to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back