TRV stuck in water pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace a central heating radiator TRV.
Unfortunately the existing valve is stuck on the
vertical (rad to floor) pipe. Please can anyone tell
me how to free it?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If you mean that it is between two fixed points then you will need to remove the rad or cut the pipe!

A photo would help!

Sponsored Links
Photo is essential. Also tell us if the pipe comes up through a wooden or concrete floor, and show us where it comes through the floor.

there is usually wiggle room if a wooden floor.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thank you for replies.
Floor is wooden.
Pics attached.

undo both the chromed nuts on the valve, wiggle it away from the radiator, it may help if you rotate it while wiggling, then pull up and off the pipe. The nuts unscrew away from the valve (and the one on the pipe will probably be retained by the olive, so it will be easier if you fit a new valve the same as the old).

edited, thank you sooey

Undo both radiator valve, TRV and Lockshield, and lift radiator off brackets.

Usually there should be enough movement under floorboard to renew TRV

Daniel.

Hold the old trv body with grips while you undo the nuts and when putting new valve on (might want to use a cloth between jaws of grips when holding new one).

As pipe has been painted (should be illegal :cautious:) you might want to scrape it off with the back of a Stanley knife blade. That way you'll be able to slide the nut down it otherwise you'll need to pull up on the valve body while undoing that nut!

Pipe dope may also have been used, which has dried up and made everything stiff to undo!

James you know the system has to be drained - and I'd pull that carpet out of the way - the black water in the rad will stain it, even one drop;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back