TRV4 head horizontal/ vertical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago, I fitted TRV4's all round the house, except for the hall radiator where the thermostat usually is. All working fine, except one which has me slightly puzzled....

The one in our utility/pantry, which is stuck on the corner of the house - 9" wall and flat concrete slab roof and so has massive heat loss compared to the rest of the house. The single radiator in here, due to the layout of the pipes feeding it, I had to fit the TRV4 horizontally.

The puzzle, is that this radiator (when the heating fires) is always the hottest radiator, even if I turn the TRV4 down to minimum. I have tried swapping the head with others, but the result is always the same. Maybe the cool temperature of the space, means it never reaches cut off temperature? I don't remember whether turning it all the way off, actually did work or not, but...

Is there any reason why a TRV4 wouldn't work horizontally?

Sponsored Links
My bathroom TRV is fitted horizontally and works fine. We have two rads in our kitchen diner. One near to the patio doors, one on the wall adjoining the lounge. From a cold start, if they are both set on 3.5, they both warm up equally but as the day goes on, I have to up the one on the inner wall to 4.5 as I presume it is in a zone that is getting warmed by the lounge wall, 3.5 isn’t enough for that area and it starts to feel cold over there.

Pretty sure that’s what mine is. I’ve changed the heads over and it made no difference either so nothing faulty.

Sponsored Links
not my statement so dont shoot the messenger, when danfoss first brought out the bi-directional flow radiator valves , they had problems with them being noisy, I met two guys on site that Danfoss had flown in from the factory and they said , always remember HOFVR, Horizontal on the flow Vertical on the return, I have always followed that and never had a problem, but if they were truelly Bi-directional, I cant understand what the difference would be, I got 100 free TRVs and a mini cruise to Denmark to see the factory, never get anything like that now, those were the good old days

The correct way to fit a TRV is with the head horizontal !

Why because the airflow through the tvr is more efficient and so the trv works more effectively.

Fitted vertically like most are fitted they get the heat rising from the radiator tails and consequently get a false reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back