TRV's and thermostat location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am helping my son install TRV's and better controls in his 3-bed terrace house. The upstairs is no problem -TRV's on all rads; but I am unsure as to what to do downstairs.

A sketch of the ground floor can be seen at:
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=42fescd&.dnm=eeb8scd.jpg

The difficulties, as I see it, are: 1. There is no door between the Kitchen and the lobby outside the downstairs toilet. 2. The door from the living room is never shut, so the whole ground floor is effectively one large room

The thermostat is fairly modern with three-wire connections but there is only a two wire cable to it. Replacement of the existing cable is not possible. In any case I think the thermostat is in the wrong place - somewhere in the living room would be better??

I would then put a TRV on the rad in the kitchen. But what about the living room? Do I put a TRV on just one rad and leave the other to be controlled by the thermostat or should I have no TRV's in the living room?

Where should I put the thermostat? It will probably have to be a wireless one as all the pump timeswitch, MPV etc are all in the airing cupboard in the main bedroom upstairs and running a cable would be a nightmare

I have installed TRV before so that task does not worry me at all.

Sponsored Links
the room stat should be sited in the coldest room (ie landing or hall way) so where it is is ok and just leave the rad in the kitchen without a TRV.

Dont worry about only having two wires, if its a honeywell you have to put comman to one and demand to 3

Sponsored Links
Tell ya what if you guys cant post right right after a good sunday session get the kids to help. :confused: :confused: Honest babe i am just resting my eyes i`m not falling asleep :LOL: :LOL:

Sad thing is and I hate to admit it, is my eldest step daughter came home about 6 and shouted 'mum daves asleep on his computer keyboard' :oops:

As you say namsag, 'just resting my eyes dear' :LOL:

namsag said:
Tell ya what if you guys cant post right right after a good sunday session get the kids to help. :confused: :confused: Honest babe i am just resting my eyes i`m not falling asleep :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Honest i am listening is what i say when telle is on.... Reply is you must have good hearing cause you where snoring away :oops: :oops:

Could be any evening round mine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Apparently last night I was talking in my sleep asking my cat why she wasn't wearing her tutu :oops:

This is after last week falling out of bed in the middle of the night and not knowing where I was, with her next to me saying 'what the f*** are you doing?' and the cat leaping off the bed at 100mph :oops: :LOL:

Note to self; must cut down on drinking :LOL:

Dave don`t cut down on drinking just make her drink more.. :LOL: :LOL: .Lost count of times when have said RIGHT not drinking this week ,,, 3 pints of carlsberg and a pint of coke by the time barmaid is on third pint .Just make it easier for your self love and do 4 pints why can`t she pour the coke first.. :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: Trouble is she DOES drink as much as me :eek: You won't believe the rows we have when we've both had a few :rolleyes:

Anyway, needs must and 24 is now on, double episode so must be last in series, sky plusing it as well in case I 'rest my eyes dear' :LOL:

Meanwhile, back at the original question!

corgiman said:
the room stat should be sited in the coldest room (ie landing or hall way) so where it is is ok and just leave the rad in the kitchen without a TRV.

But is the present location the coldest? It is just outside the kitchen with a cooker, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge/freezer etc giving out heat. And, as I said in my original post, the door to the living room is never closed, so there is a continual circulation of heat between all rooms.

corgiman said:
Dont worry about only having two wires, if its a honeywell you have to put comman to one and demand to 3.

But then the anticipator does not work and you will get fluctuating temperatures.

Sorry for hijacking topic,,,,Looking at your plan of house i would put stat in the living room leaving one trv off one of the rads. Stat has to be fitted 5feet from floor and not on an outside wall or near a rad.. Wireless is your only choice if wiring is going to be a pain Drayton and Danfoss are quite good cost from 80 quid for stat to about 120 quid for programable stat

namsag said:
Sorry for hijacking topic,,,,Looking at your plan of house i would put stat in the living room leaving one trv off one of the rads. Stat has to be fitted 5feet from floor and not on an outside wall or near a rad.. Wireless is your only choice if wiring is going to be a pain Drayton and Danfoss are quite good cost from 80 quid for stat to about 120 quid for programable stat

Hijacking?? You have actually given a sensible answer to my question!! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back