TRVs on rad and putting covers on them, any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here.

Am getting radiator covers so the little ones (2 1yo twins) don't burn themselves on the radiators when hot.

The original installer of the TRVs put them at low level and horizontally instead of the recommended vertical orientation at this level, but on a positive spin this means that I should be able to cut a hole in the side of the covers, stick the TRV out the side and they should then regulate to the room temp and not the heat that will build up inside the cover.

I have seen the remote sensor capillary TRVs for using ideally, but I don't think this is needed if I have the TRVs sticking out the side especially with the extra cost.

Any other tips or tricks for this?

Sponsored Links
About 15 years ago, I made a cover for a radiator under a window in my lounge that ran from wall to wall, meaning that the TRV was completely inside it without any possibility of the sensor head poking through. I made sure that there was a lot of ventilation at the bottom (although called radiators, they work on the principle of a convector and need a good airflow) I didn't expect it to, and was prepared to install a remote sensor, but the TRV works perfectly inside the cabinet. The convector principle means that ambient air from the room is drawn in through the openings at the bottom of the cover and over the TRV sensor before it's heated. The cabinet has a bottom hinged front held in place with catches at the top to it can be opened for TRV adjustment, although in practice, I haven't altered it this winter at all.

I would imagine that a TRV poking though a cabinet would be as least as good, if not better than it is now, because it will be shielded from the direct heat of the radiator.

Great idea,well the trv head is horizontal,so thats to your advantage.
just cut a slot for the pipe get as much of the trv outside of the cabinet,personally i dont like the lattice fronts as fingers will be poked through so have used slatted fronts,less chance of getting a finger stuck.
just make sure the cabinet is well attached to the wall and if the front panel is easily removable,make it harder to be removed so it wont be pulled off.
Edit,the location of the trv will be in a position where it will be possible for someone to use it as a step and possibly snapping the trv head off.
Seen that happen.

Radiator covers will significantly increase your heating bills as they prevent the proper circulation of air through the radiator (which actually convects rather than radiates). The result of this is that the radiators struggle to heat the room and so you turn the boiler thermostat up to compensate, thus increasing fuel usage. They're a ridiculous idea IMHO. Many millions of children have learned not to touch radiators by touching them once, discovering that they're hot, and leaving them alone thereafter. A much cheaper solution which has the added bonus of providing a little education to your children :)

Sponsored Links
I have two cabinets and they made absolutely no difference to the time taken to warm the room or the running costs. The key is to make sure that they are designed properly to ensure an adequate flow of air over the radiator. In my case it prevented the heat going up behind the curtains and made sure it came out into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back