TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story but the crux of the matter is, due to misinformation , I've ended up with all my TRV's on the return side of the rads :( How vital is it to correct this as it does seem to work ok, all except for one TRV which hammers if turned anything less than fully open?

Sponsored Links
It depends on what make of TRV you have, if they're bi-directional it should be fine, if they're only single direction ones you might get problems. The one that's noisy probably needs moving

Thanks muggles, hopefully then I will find a flow direction arrow stamped on the TRV if they are one directional?

Drayton valves that i fit have a selector under the head (which you need to remove to adjust)

Not a big deal if done properly.

Sponsored Links
Its not a problem to have TRVs on the return if they are installed correctly, do you know what make and model of TRV you have ? if not post a pic most of us will recognise the common ones

Thank you guy's for your interest and help. Going to try now and post a pic of one of the TRV's.

I hope someone can give further guidance given the picture.
Many thanks

Those are bi-directional ones so they should be OK on the return, but you might need to move the one that's noisy if its bothering you

As Muggles correctly advises the TRV`s that you have are bi-directional so shouldnt really matter which end they are on , however we all know that this is not always the case regardless of what the manufacturer says, forget about moving the ones that are OK and remove the sensor head from the one that causes problems , if this sorts it out then you dont have to move it to the other side of the radiator just turn the valve from vertical to horizontal and that will sort it

The double-headed arrow means they are bi-directional, i.e can go on either flow or return.

(Aside) I do wish posters would make sure that pics were posted the right way up; I initially thought the TRV was under the rad. :eek:

A noisy TRV is caused by too high a pressure differential across the TRV. This is normally caused by the system not balanced correctly.

Try the Quick Balance Procedure

Thanks for all your help and guidance guys.
Sorry the picture is on it's side, first time I've posted a picture on this forum.
It's a great relief to learn they are bi-directional , I had visions of doing an awkward x-over below the boiler. My only issue now is the noisy one which I will deal with armed with your advice.
Thank you one and all :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back