Trying to change stuck UPVC lock cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just moved into a new place and want to replace cylinders of my front and back doors but am unable to pull the cylinders out. The back door has the screw missing so with a slight twist of the key i should be able to pull the cylinder out ... but no luck doing that yet. The front door has a screw which i have taken out yet i can't pull the cylinder out despite of me moving the key as i should. I can get a locksmith to come in and replace them but this should be an easy 20 second thing to do for which paying £125 seems too much.
Help??? :)

Sponsored Links
They should come out easily as you say with a slight turn of the key.

Maybe try taking the handles off to see if that helps as there may be some sort of cylinder guard in there. If your still stuck post some pics.

They should come out easily as you say with a slight turn of the key.

Maybe try taking the handles off to see if that helps as there may be some sort of cylinder guard in there. If your still stuck post some pics.

Thanks for your response. Tried taking out both handles but still no luck. Attaching pics.

Try it with the key in the 12 o'clock position i.e. turn through 180 degrees after putting key in

Sponsored Links
6 o'clock?

In fact turn the key through 360 gently pulling as you turn

Is the barrel loose, does it wobble but just won't slide out?

Failing all of that you'll have to snap it assuming you already have replacements

6 o'clock?

In fact turn the key through 360 gently pulling as you turn

Is the barrel loose, does it wobble but just won't slide out?

Failing all of that you'll have to snap it assuming you already have replacements

When I take out both the handles the lock does wobble. I feel like there's something very minor i'm missing.

Once the screws out and you've lined up the tab it should just slide out, don't think you're missing anything

SNAP IT!!! :D

Are you 100% sure you have the right screw out? It should have a machine thread and be about 1" to 1 & 1/2 long.
It also possible its just rusted in place a bit, Try taping from the other side with a hammer as you rotate the key through 360 degrees

Are you 100% sure you have the right screw out? It should have a machine thread and be about 1" to 1 & 1/2 long.
It also possible its just rusted in place a bit, Try taping from the other side with a hammer as you rotate the key through 360 degrees

The screw is out, look at the picture I posted.
I'll try tapping from the other side, but that seems to be the last thing to try before I need to snap it.

I couldn't see the alignment of the screw compared to the lock in those pics to be sure its the right screw.

But assuming the bottom thin part of the lock is in line with that blood splatter you should have the right one :LOL:

The bottom screw in your picture screws the lock to the door. The star shaped one above it is one of about 4 that secure the lock to the gearbox, so the one that you have removed would be the one that holds the barrel lock in place. As you are aware there is nothing stopping the lock sliding out now, unless the lock is actually broken and the tab in the barrel lock is not turning with the key.
Is the other door also a profile 22 door?

The bottom screw in your picture screws the lock to the door. The star shaped one above it is one of about 4 that secure the lock to the gearbox, so the one that you have removed would be the one that holds the barrel lock in place. As you are aware there is nothing stopping the lock sliding out now, unless the lock is actually broken and the tab in the barrel lock is not turning with the key.
Is the other door also a profile 22 door?

both are profile 22.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back