Trying to connect new socket from light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, sorry first time post here so I will try and explain as best I can. I am trying to create a new socket from a light switch and the switch looks like it is the last switch on the "lighting" circuit. I have disconnected all the wires from the switch and connected these wires into a connector (wago connectors). I have then connected new wires to the existing light switch where "live" has gone to "com" and neutral has gone to "gang 1. I then connected a new cable to the existing wago connectors as this will serve as my new socket. Once I turn the power back on, the existing light switch is permanently on and my extra socket that I added does not work at all. What have I done wrong? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can't connect a socket to your switch as you have no neutral.

The black is a switched live.

And you should be no where near electrics ! Sorry, but that's a fact. You obviously have no idea what your doing. Please get an electrician in to do the work for you.

Best advice, sorry.

DS

Hi folks, sorry first time post here so I will try and explain as best I can. I am trying to create a new socket from a light switch
A socket on a lighting circuit is a bad idea. What did you think you'd be able to plug into it?

and the switch looks like it is the last switch on the "lighting" circuit.
Really?

What makes you think that?

What have I done wrong? Thanks!
Decided that total ignorance should not be a bar to fiddling with things you don't understand?

And you should be no where near electrics ! Sorry, but that's a fact. You obviously have no idea what your doing. Please get an electrician in to do the work for you.

Best advice, sorry.

DS
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

And in case you ever want to work on your electrics again you should start to remedy your ignorance.

Sponsored Links
STOP :!:

1) You firstly very likely only have live and switched live at your light switch and no neutral required for a socket.

2) Does the light switch even have a earth connection for the socket???

3) Feeding a socket from a lighting circuit is a bad idea!, and you are at high risk of tripping the MCB/ blowing the fuse from over loading the lighting circuit via the socket.

4) You light is permanently on because you have joined permanent live and switched live together without realising

5) As others have said, GET AN ELECTRICIAN In for your own safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back