Trying to dismantle shower diverter tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello plumbing genii,

The unbranded diverter tap in the attached photos is about 8-10 years old, and is stuck halfway between taps and shower. In the close up you see the ring that is supposed to be pressed down when diverting to the shower, but it doesn't move. There is what looks to be the end of a pin. At first I thought it was a grub screw that would take an allen key but on closer inspection I can't see any flats, and no size of metric or imperial key will grip. I wonder if this pin has worked its way out and is holding the ring.

On the opposite side of the ring there is a hole but no pin, and inserting every size of allen keys does nothing: small ones pass right through and out through the "pin" on the other side, bigger ones don't grip anything.

There seems to be no other way to try to dismantle or release the diverter assembly. There are no flats anywhere to get a spanner on.

I've tried firmly hitting the pin with hammer and small screwdriver but there is no movement, even after pouring boiling water on the fitting. I've tried to push it out from the side that has just a hole, and tried to push it in from the side where the pin is visible. It won't budge.

Does anyone have any ides?

Do you think just need to keep hitting it harder and harder until it gives or the tap breaks? Has anyone seen this particular tap before?

Any and all advice welcome.

Spookytooth

Sponsored Links
Does sound like a Roll Pin, this sort of thing.

http://www.accuscrews.co.uk/imperia...gle_shopping&gclid=CIGF98DAlsMCFSKu2wodNrcAeg

I would suggest if you have kids nick some Plasticine and build a little well around it then fill with descaler or white vinegar leaving it to soak and dissolve any scale around the pin.

Then drift it out (posh talk for banging it out with something just slightly smaller) a large nail with the point cut off would be a good tool or perhaps a large nail punch.

Lift the knob and look for the flats.
Someone had to put it together in the first place.
Decent plumber 2 minutes tops.
Have you tried removing the chrome knob?
Jeff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back